skimmer?

our gang

This may be a stupid question, but how important is it to have a protein skimmer? My 150 has been set up almost a year now and I can't seem to keep any other fish except for the first 4 fish that I got. They are a foxface, racoon butterfly, coral beauty and a choc. chip star. The latest casualties (there have been many) are a naso tang, percula clown, and blue hippo. Could the lack of a protein skimmer be the cause? By the way, water parameters are amm-0, nitrites-0, ph-7.8 and trates-20.

joncat24

after you run a skimmer on your tank and see the gunk that it pulls out, you will never again question the need for one.
Octopus or mrc skimmers are prolly the best for the buck depending on which type you want(needlewheel or beckett) Most of the others are way overpriced or serious junk....IMO

petjunkie

Remora's a little small for that bioload, lack of a skimmer shouldn't be killing fish, however tangs need lots of oxygen and water movement, how did they die, any marks or diseases you noticed.

dmjordan

acclimation could contribute to an early demise also. how long after the fish were put in did they pass on? when you add a new fish do the other fish bully it causing the fish a high stress level?

our gang

usually the fish are only in the tank for a week or so. I acclimate for two hours using the drip method. I'm not sure what's going on. the fish that I have aren't bullying type of fish either.

rbaldino

As someone who ran a tank without a skimmer for over 10 years, I seriously doubt your lack of a skimmer is killing fish. Your tank is really big, and with only four fish, I doubt anything really bad that a skimmer could pull out is building up in there. I'd look into other possibilities.

shawnhardy

I have always thought the proper pH range was 8.1 - 8.4...any reason your is not in that range? What is your salinity level?

scotts

As someone who was in the same boat as you I would agree with everything that has been said. A skimmer will of course help and you will be amazed at the gunk that is pulled out of your water. Also acclimation is important. I had the same fish for the longest time and could not add anymore. Then this site put the acclimation flahs demo on it and I have not lost a fish since then. (knock on wood)

our gang

Originally Posted by shawnhardy
I have always thought the proper pH range was 8.1 - 8.4...any reason your is not in that range? What is your salinity level?
My salinity is at 1.019. I keep it low to try and not get ick. It doesn't always work.(obviously)

nigerbang

Originally Posted by our gang
My salinity is at 1.019. I keep it low to try and not get ick. It doesn't always work.(obviously)

I would bring that up a little bit and increase the pH, Seaclones are low priced...But with skimmers most the time you get what you pay for...Not the thing to skimp on and the seem to need to be adjusted all the time or modified..