Skimmer

hutchinson

Hello,
I have a 55 gallon Reef. I want a hang on the back skimmer. I've been through the typhoon ( IT SUCKED!!).
I only have 3 3/4" behind the tank. Whats the best skimmer to get that has minimum micro bubbles.
I'm thinking a -Reef Back Pack 2 or -AquaC Remora
I Will buy an adapter to minimize micro bubbles if u tell me one that really works.

metweezer

I ditched my seaclone for an Aqua C Remora. For some crazy reason I purchased the preskimmer a month later. I don't feel I needed it. I didn't really have bubbles coming into my tank and the preskimmer wakes my wife up every morning, as because of the evaporation, you can hear the slurping noise. I plan on removing the preskimmer.

J

jefnmichele

I have had my AquaC Remora for about three weeks. Everyone says let it run it will get better. Its not. I have the pre skimmer coming tommorow to try. Nothing but Micro bubbles. It did kick in for 2 days, thick brown skimmate. Then it just stopped and started throwing bubbles again.
The foam that it makes leaks out around the riser tube, Aqua C says no way to stop that. Im not happy with it. Hope the preskimmer helps, but I am not expecting it to.

J

jefnmichele

Hope Aqua C has fun with the money they took from me. I could have gotten rid of more protein by using the dollar bills as sponges to collect it and squeeze it into the sink.
I cant believe that companies are allowed to make and sell such a POS.
Its been the required waiting time, I have added the preskimmer hoping it would help.
So about 200 dollars later I am stuck with a bunch of plexi glass that does nothing but hang on the back and make micro bubbles.
THANKS AQUA C

mr_x

i agree with the above negative comments on aqua-c's remora line of skimmers.
i had one that didn't skim worth a hoot, and no matter what i did, i couldn't stop the microbubbles. i even purchased the extra prefilter box, which took up a large portion of the 30 cube i had the skimmer on, and it didn't help.
i haven't had a cpr bak pak, but i haven't heard alot of good things about them either.
i'm sorry about your space constraints, but i'm afraid you have 2 choices for a good skimmer-
1. implement a sump and get an in-sump skimmer...which is the best option.
or
2. pull the tank out a few more inches and pick up an aqua medic turbofloater, a red sea berlin HOB, or even a coralife superskimmer. they are not as bad as people think.

metweezer

Originally Posted by Jefnmichele
http:///forum/post/2539076
Hope Aqua C has fun with the money they took from me. I could have gotten rid of more protein by using the dollar bills as sponges to collect it and squeeze it into the sink.
I cant believe that companies are allowed to make and sell such a POS.
Its been the required waiting time, I have added the preskimmer hoping it would help.
So about 200 dollars later I am stuck with a bunch of plexi glass that does nothing but hang on the back and make micro bubbles.
THANKS AQUA C
Other than the slurping noise of the preskimmer, I am very happy with my Aqua C
I have raised my skimate cup as high as it will go and I get good scum and need to empty it every day
I really don't understand the dis-satisfaction with the product. I will remove the preskimmer box as I mentioned in an earlier post, I never had bubbles and due to evaporation, I just don't need it. I add a gal of RO/DI water every day for topoffs on my 29 gal. I live in Florida and I have a fan on constantly keeping the temp down. This causes my evaporation. Once again, I had a seaclone and this is awesome by comparison

J

jefnmichele

From my conversation with Aqua c, they arent really to sure about the skimmers either. At least that is the impression I got.
I can get good skim for a day or two, and then nothing for several days.
I have attached my make up switch to the preskimmer to keep the water level right in the overflow, and have gone out of my way not to put anything in the tank, including hands, and still the same on again off again skimming

guyerson

metweezer - what pump is your preskimmer box for? If it is for the MJ1200, let me know if you are looking to get rid of it.
Thanks