Skimmer

I am new to nano cubes still, I hooked up mine Tuesday, nitrates were 20 after feeding my fish, I did a 2.3g W/C, now their 5. I was wondering on when I should add my protein skimmer? the tanks cycled since it was a conversion from a 15g. Last question is, should I put rock in my filter chamber? if so where? right now all the stuff it came with is in there aside from the ceramic rings. I was told they trap nitrates. Thanks in advance. I also see many people putting "Chaeto" in there? not sure what that is.

I connected one of the tubes to the black box and the other to the skimmer, but I am not to sure if its right or what to do next, anyone? this is for the 28g JBJ btw.

coral keeper

Here is a drawing of how mine is done. The green is chaeto and the brown is live rock rubble.

About the skimmer, here is a picture of the protein skimmer manual.

I just got thrown off by the picture, it has 2 tubes coming out of the back chamber, I just hooked it up. The foam is about 2-3 1/2 inches from the cup up top, I put the box inside my stand and I adjusted the clamp for it to sit in the chamber, seems to be running fine, I just tested my nitrates they are at 5, so hopefully next week with another W/C and the skimmer running I can add some coral and one more fish in a week or two :), thanks coral appreciate it.