Skimmer??

808smokey

Which Skimmer would you recommend for a 40gal FOWLR that I will add some "easy" corals too in the next 6-12 months? Something for under $150-200
Thanks

wyldgunz

A red sea prizm would work good. i use it on my 55 fowlr and used it on my reef tank untill i got an aqua clear.

zanemoseley

just say no to prizm's, get a AquaC Remora or the Urchin model if you want an insump model, or a small euroreef for in sump would be good such as a ES5-1

808smokey

Sorry I should have said this is going to hang on the tank. I don't have anything underthing my tank.
Thanks

tommyfish

Hello Kip where is the euro for 175 at. I am going to buy a new skimmer for my 75 and I have been looking at the euro reef. Thanks

rwhite

We've had good luck with our Prizm. Got 4 fish, 4 countable inverts, and "easy" corals (4 kinds: hairy, blue/purple and green
shrooms and polyps) in our 55. Definitely depends on your long term goals. We're looking at ours as an experiment before we get a bigger tank. Add things slowly in good balance and you could do fine. JMO :D , but I second the motion by WyldGunz.

nm reef

For a hang on skimmer I'd suggest a CPR BacPac 2R...works great on 55 gal or smaller reefs. I've been running one for about 3 years now(its actually on my nephews reef now)...good quality product and the company offers top notch support. But if you decide to upgrade then the skimmer will likely not be adaquate so I'd suggest adding a sump and looking at the line of EuroReef skimmers. That way you could add a skimmer rated much higher than your current display needs and later when you go larger the EuroReef will still be functional. Sort of spend more now to save spending more later.:thinking:

808smokey

Thanks for the input...
I was looking at the CPR skimmer and I was wondering how loud it is. Also is $119.00 a fair price? I can't seem to find it cheaper. :confused: