SkimmerLess Experiment Week2(Natural Systems)

druluv

Actually the tank remains very stable in lew of not having a skimmer.
I have a big tank so loss of a fish would affect it as much as an 10 gallon reef. In addition, I have so many sand bed critters a dead fish would be eaten as food.
When you feed, don't you put dead animals in your water?
In My experiment, I notice that up keep of the tank is actually easier because I don't have keep dailing in my skimmer. A lot of people have had problems with skimmer over flow or not enough foam or too much foam. Macro Algae in my fuge doesn't care about all that stuff.
I just have to fill my top off water

phreakemup

Originally posted by druluv
When you feed, don't you put dead animals in your water?

Yes, when u feed u are putting organics in the water, the more food, the more organics... Sure ur tank is big, and it will still take more to make it go "bad" but, I was just giving ya a warning..... Sure ur tank is stable, but what if u have a heat wave, and something dies, u have no skimmer as a back up.. Right no, u have to take care of the tank less, but reguardless of the size of the tank, if u take 2 tanks, same size same everything, except one has a skimmer and one doesnt, the one w/ the skimmer, will have more insurance, and can handle bigger bio load swings...
Phreak

druluv

I feel like having no skimmer is better insurance than having one. I noticed with a skimmer, the tank is always out of balance and all types of additives need to be added. Thus, running the risk of crashing. The skimmerless tanks in theory should be the more stable. This is what this experiment is suppose to prove.
Benji
I might use it on my tank. When I first fill the tank, I used tap water. So, I'm not sure if PO4 is in my tank. I used a crappy test kit that only measured between .1 - 0 and my tank was .1. So I'm going to have it on hand just in case.

druluv

I have been running skimmer les for about 2 months, i didnt mean to though, i added some mangroves and BOOM my skimmer didnt pull anything out anymore, now i use the pump as an extra powerhead.
Good Use Of Wasted Equipment. I hope you did not spend too much for your skimmer.[

druluv

Not here to down play the skimmer, but to showcase the fuge. The fuge is an amazing piece of equipment. It takes the place of a skimmer, it grows natural food for youf coral, the Macro algae provides healing properties for your fish. What skimmer on the market can do that.

broomer5

Just curious druluv
Is this a brand new set up tank this month, or has it been running for awhile already ?
Are the dates of fish/inverts listed correct ?
Has all of these animals been added in April - this month ? Or have you had these for awhile too ???

E

essop3

I'd like to see some pics of your fuge. Good luck with your tank.

mary

Druluv, Please explain fuge to me. I have had a skimmer on my 90 gal. fot 7 of the 8 yrs. I have had my tank. All my soft and hard corals have always had extremely good polyp extension. Only a bubble coral did not do well when my tank was new. Now corals are so large, even the plate, that I've no room for anything else, except one more lovely colorful fish that will not be intimidated by my six line wrasse which I am very sorry I ever put it in. Very aggressive. But all is well, all else since doing a subtraction, gets along fine with it. Have to do some reading on what will get along with it. Good luck on this endeavor! Sounds really exciting. Keep us posted.

druluv

Thanks essop
will do
Mary
A fuge is basiclly another tank that houses smaller creatures and plants to filter the main tank. The smaller creatures feed on wastes coming from the main tank, and the plants absorbs the dissovled wastes. The plants also releases special substances in the water to help protect the fish. The Fuge helps keep your tank in balance(PH). The works like a natural protein skimmer with the hassle.

rwhite

Arent you afraid of a major spike in your params with the addition of all the livestock within a month? How long has the tank/fuge been set up prior to the additions? Not knocking your methods, just curious...is it part of the plan, do you feel the fuge,lr will be able to handle the bioload quickly?

phreakemup

Originally posted by Kip4130
Woooooaaaaahhhhhh.... dru.... slow the truck down.
No time to write much... but that i would throw that in there.

I think kip said it best
Phreak

druluv

In response to stocking the tank to fast. I feel that I didn't add too much fish at the same time. If you see my addition dates the large fish were put in weekly.,In addition, Because I don't have a skimmer, the bacteria that handles the whole cycle is in the tank not being skimmed. Tanks with skimmers have to wait longer to add each fish because of this.

jawfishray

Greetings all,
Well talk about your parallel thinking. I have been putting together a natural setup for the last couple weeks. Currently I have almost all of the work done, except for my last tank choice.
I have a 46gl bowfront, a pair of 20gl one on each end of the bowfront (width ways, so it makes a []|__|[] shape), and then I had been designing a shallow tank for the space created behind the three tanks. If I continue with this plan I will have the main tank overflow into each of the 20gl, which are species only (octo and mantis) fuges', which in turn over flow into my rear cavity shallow tank.
This shallow tank has matched setes of wet/dry drip sections to receive each over flow from the 20gl(s), that meet in the center section that has a pair of coarse, fine, and charcoal sections. Then a pump pushes the reserve into the center of the 46gl.
As of this moment I have one 20 up and running as I was trying to salvage a few collected animals while I was waiting for my lights. In the next few weeks I will have the others up and running.
The main change of direction in my plan is not the multi-tank system but rather the matter of what I am putting in it...live sand, live water, and live rock.
I am diving for all of my items. The water is crystal clear and in great shape.
My plan for flora/fauna is mostly collected items for the first 2 months to establish parameters and system integrity. After that point the center tank will be host to 5-6 corals, several anemones, 5 Ocellaris, a couple gobies/blennies, and few other small bits.
The left 20gl will host the octopus and the right 20gl will host the mantis.
I am quite curious about the mantis as it is coming from Cali, rescued from a live rock shipment (TBS), but it is not http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pics/isaari_hammers.htm as most mantis from this area are. It apparently is deep purple with blue lateral lines. I thought it might be a Odontodactylus havanensis but that is a bit far for its range and they are more off white on top. Looking forward to this little guy.
Any I have done this sort of tank before, I had a 250gl that was from a FL F&W travelling show tank, in 89-92. And it worked great. I had 3 birthings of seahorses (erectus), all which I released with parents to the same collections sites; I kept logs of where and what I caught for this very reason. Among all my other items where cami crabs (very funny to mess with...I had a pair of 20gls for isolation and delayed bioloading, and in these I had bare glass with resin coral/sea fan so I could medicate without killing live rock, but when I had cami's I would put them in one of these "open" tanks and put lots of smooth edged sea glass -greens/blues-browns-clear-white-etc...they would strip off all of their "natural" cami bits and replace them with the glass pieces...then I would put them back in the main tank...very funny as you could almost hear their frustration at having to re-cami again...but it was fun to see them creep around all bright and colorful for a short while), a softball sized sargasum fish http://www.nanfa.org/akiweb/1621.JPG which was HUGE (this beast would engulf 30 little surf fish at a time woooosh), tie-dye colored pistol shrimps (4-5"), and much more.
All of these guys did well. No skimmer (do not know many who were using them then), 4 powerheads and a 45gl wet/dry w/sump.
WIth all the cool equipment available now, I may consider going down that road now, but for the moment I have access to good water, great rock (not some much coralled, but, big barnacles, sponge, squirts, and other nice pieces along with brillant green macro (do not have it IDed just yet)), great anchored macro, and tons of deep live sand.
I also have 5 bay scallops, 20-25 3/4" coquina bivalues http://www.schulz-naturphoto.de/bild...glades-50.jpg, and a few small rasor clams...all doing their part to scrub my water.
I am not posting this in an effort to sway anyone my way. This is not advertizing a macro first thread, rather just a curious project simularity I thought I would mention.
Good luck with all of everyone's projects, large and small.
Ray Boemler
www.peanutbutterjellyfish.com

druluv

Thanks every one for the advice and constructive criticisms. Next update at 4/30
For now pic of the fuge!

mary

Ray, Hope you continue doing what you are doing forever. As our reefs are dieing, people like you may be called on someday to help rejuvinate areas of reefs that can be re-established. Hope your critters survive and you do not do too much experimenting with sea life that may be endangered now. Sounds like you are doing it responsibly. Gives me hope. I have the same respect for Druluv for trying the fuge method that now that he has explained it to me, I did know of it but can not afford the lights for a second tank for the fauna. It has been proven to be very successful in Eropean countries . Think he may be going a little fast however. Takes a lotta time for detritus eating critters to get established.

mary

druluv! I did know what a fuge set up is. Thanks for reminding me. Wish I could afford the lights and all the rest that it takes. It does definately work, but does take a lot of time for detritus eating critters to get established in your tank to carry the load of fishes you now have. Good bacterias take time to establish themselves but you may know a wau to jumpstart them. You may have rushed a bit I believe. But, that methood is the best method one can use. I believe it has been being used in European countries by the top proffessional marine hobbiests for many years. Just takes someone with the knowhow and innitiative and money and time, to carry it off. Please keep us informed of all successes and failures. In the long run, I believe it is the best method for haveing a natural healthy tank! Great to hear of someone doing this.