Skimmers

amber439

I just set up my prizm protein skimmer today. How long is the break-in period for the skimmer going to be? I have never had a skimmer before. How often will I need to change the cup?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The prizm takes some tweeking. Start with the water valve closed and make minute measures to open it, testing to see the desired effect. What you want is to get dry foam rising up the neck of the collection cup and spilling over into the cup itself; you don't want your collection cup to fill up with seawater, however...which is where the "tweeking" comes in.
How much skimmate you get will depend on the bio-load of your system. Basically you should clean up the collection cup at least weekly, or, if you get a lot of skim, then more often.
The time for break-in varies. Perhaps as long as a week; but, if you're lucking, you'll get it running right away within a day or so.
Remember that with the prizm you can't empty the collection cup with the water line above the O-ring, otherwise you'll get seawater spillage off the backside of your tank. You either need to turn off the skimmer at the power source, or turn down the water intake using the valve. If you use the valve, then you will have to reset it agian. It would be nice if the prizm came with a handy on-off switch, but, alas, it does not.
:D

fishface

Be careful when adding any "vitamin supplements" to your tank with the Prizm on.I had added some Marine Success VITA and within a half hour the Prizm was almost overflowing. good thing I was there!!! :)
FishFace :eek:

amber439

Thank you! I'm starting to get the hang of this. I just cleaned the cup because it was full of sea water, but it was dirty! And my tank does look much much clearer now.
I only have a medium pork puffer and two small damsels. Since I got the skimmer, I'm thinking of getting some anthias or something like that.

does anyone know if the remora has a water flow valve? or is it that all skimmers has the valve(never had a skimmer b4 and its in the mail should be ariving on late this week)

fishface

Charon,The first few days to a week you should get a yellowish water substance in the collection cup.After a couple of weeks watch out brown nasties :p and smells too.
I do not let mine fill up before I empty it,After about an inch or so of liquid (cpl days worth)I'll empty it by disconnecting the small air intake hose the slowly rotating the collection cup off therefore not having to re-adjust the ever so tricky valve. Also when you are adding water to your tank any difference in level will cause your skimmer to go nuts and fill up quickly.I had added water and before the sump/overflow could catch up the skimmer got full real quick,I now add water to the sump :)
Fish Face
ICQ# 48458582 ;)

ceseve01

Originally posted by charon:
<STRONG>I just set up my prizm protein skimmer today. How long is the break-in period for the skimmer going to be? I have never had a skimmer before. How often will I need to change the cup?</STRONG>
The break in period for my prizm was about a week or so. It is doing perfect in my 30 gal. As for the cup, you will need to change it at least once a week. Also make sure that the foam stays below the throat(or below the cup) if not everything will go wrong. :cool: