skimmers

bozfamily

I just recently joind this site and now there is a place where i can ask so many questions that i have, Thank all of you so much.
Ive had my tank up and going for about 8 months now its semi reef and i dont have a protine skimmer but everything is thriving do i need to buy one? or is it a pref.?

benter

you will get different opinions from different people in diffrerent places..IMO yes it is a necessity..when you put one on your tank, and you see the "goodies" that get removed daily ..you will find it hard to believe that, that much stuff came out of your system..thats my .02

27mtaylor

It definately wouldn't hurt to have one. It gets the protien out before it has a chance to go through the cycle.

bozfamily

after a few days of thinking about this ive decided to buy oa protien skimmer and upgrade to a canister filter, are there any brands anyone would say to stay away from or have had trouble with?

acrylic51

I consider it a very important piece of equipment on a reef tank, and all tanks could benefit from a skimmer as well

coralph

Most people will tell you to stay away from canister filters ,unless you are only going to run carbon in them . The mediums turn into nitrate factories..

bozfamily

really i didnt know that so if a canister is a bad idea what is the best filtration setup for a semi reef and other than a sump(in lamens terms pleeeeez)

murph145

canisters arent bad as long as u keep up the maintenace on them and dont let them get too dirty id say open them up and clean them every 2 weeks
i have a100g reef with softies lps sps and clams and i run 2 fluval 404's and everything does great