skimmers

dinks

Hi, I have a 75g with sump and bio balls. Do I need a skimmer? Oh, I am changing my tank to reef. I would not know how to plumb one into my sump, as everything is already set. So, was thinking of a hang on?? I cant spend a FORTUNE on one, but can pay a reasonable amount. I was looking at the one's on here, but don't know which one to buy???
Another thing is, since the force of my out let tube is so strong, hubby is converting that so the streams come out at various spots so it will not blow away anything..somebody told me but I forgot the name of it...lol so will hang on fit?? there is a spacing between water flow, but since I have NO idea what a skimmer looks like.....help please. Somebody look at the ones on this site and tell me what to get. I am setting up on order of other things too so need some ideas.
Thanks bunches,
dinks

jacrmill

a lot of whether or not you need a skimmer depends on how often you want to do water changes, and what your bioload looks like. so what size tank do you have, and what fish do you want to have when it is finished?

dinks

hi, thanks for replying, I have a 75g tank. I don't know what bio-load means.
I plan to have a clean up crew, a few fish, mostly corals, mushrooms...etc
with a lot of live rock.
dinks

jacrmill

bioload = how many fish you plan on having. the more fish, or just bigger fish, means you will have more waste in your tank. so if you have a very small bioload in a 75 gallon tank you can go w/o a skimmer. that said if you want to have corals I think you need 1, since skimmers help to remove nitrates from your tank.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by dinks
hi, thanks for replying, I have a 75g tank. I don't know what bio-load means.
I plan to have a clean up crew, a few fish, mostly corals, mushrooms...etc
with a lot of live rock.
dinks
Bioload is determined by the waste created by fish and inverts and the energy they burn. Larger fish that swim around a lot have more of a bioload than smaller fish who don't do much. Basically, more fish equals more of a bioload.

dinks

So looking at maybe a tang and a couple of smaller fish, an anenome with a clown fish. Prefer not to do a LOT of water changes, small frequently ones , or bio monthly????? not a lot of fish at all. I think the reef look is pretty upon it self. So, I do not wish to put a lot of fish in it. Clean up crew recomended for what I am looking for is appreciated for the 75g, small fish numbers, one larger one, mostly corals...shrooms..I have seen some GORGEOUS ones that I plan to buy, and they are full and not frags.
I would also like recommendations on test kits. I bought one for my QT tank. I keep playing with it, and I cant figure out how to read those vials looking down at them....lol
dinks

reefforbrains

Berlin skimmers work but are not a favorite among hobbiests. Look around the classified section and save some serious money on a skimmer. What budget are you looking for in a skimmer?
Very wise Idea to use the spray-bar for your return, it eliminated the jet stream effect, and the tank should love it.

dinks

Even if I went to the classifieds.....where I found a great light fixture!!!
I would not know what I was getting. I would like for it to be less than $200.00
dinks