Skimmers

lietz06

I have a 55 gallon tank. I was told by the LFS that I don't need one since I don't really plan on having corals-at least not anytime soon. What do ya'll say?

lion_crazz

A skimmer is an absolute must, whether you are doing reef or just fish. Not only will a skimmer greatly benefit corals, it will take out a lot of the nutrients that feed algae and keep your fish a lot healthier as well.

jon56048

that is true to a point but if your going to have lot of fish you will want one to help keep thing clean

srfisher17

For a long time, I was on the side that considered skimmers "optional" in fish-only tanks. Now, I never would have any SW tank without one. I don't think I've ever heard fome anyone who got a skimmer, then thought it wasn't worth it.

M

markeo99

I wish I could post pics I would show you what mine pulls out and let you decide

lietz06

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2698646
I wish I could post pics I would show you what mine pulls out and let you decide
Dude, you totally should. The skimmer at my LFS is 200 dollars! That sounds like an awful lotta money to me...is that price jackedup? Or is that about the average price for a skimmer for a 55 gallon tank?

natclanwy

I would look online for a skimmer not very many local shops carry quality skimmers and the ones they do have are way overpriced. You can get a decent skimmer for that price online just do a little research and decide which type of skimmer you want (ie Becket, Venturi, Recirculating, Spray Induction, ect...) then choose a brand with a good reputation. (Octupus, Deltec, AquaC, Euroreef are a few)