skimming / additives

I run my skimmer 24/7. I'm starting to add additives to my water, so I can have better water quality. Would me running the skimmer have any effect on the additives I add or should I shut the skimmer down once in a while?

rockster

Skimming removes organic material not additives unless you are adding phytoplankton (which are themselves organic and are removed by skimming).

kris

I don't know exactly what kind of "additives" you're talking about here, but be careful and keep an eye on your skimmer as some "additives" can cause a skimmer to go crazy, or the skimmer will make some of them useless anyway by removing it right away. Unless your talking about something essential, I would stay away from alot of the extra bottled junk. Thats why you have equipment. Expensive equipment no less. I also leave my skimmer on 24/7 and don't see a need to shut it off.

I read that adding calcium to the tank initiates coraline algae growth. So I went out and brought a test kit for calcium and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium. I haven't used the Reef Advantage yet, but the reading was 490ppm (I hope I tested it right).
Does adding calcium initiates coraline algae growth? If my reading was 490 should I be adding more calcium to the water? I would appreciate any comments.