skimming during cycle?

willcon

i just got a ASM g-2 skimmer and im running it on my 65, i was just curious if it is a good idea to be skimming the tank during the cycle??
Thanks in advance

fishieness

as long as there is nothing in the tank,i would not skim. It only takes out organic molecules that the bacteria that will grow needs to spread and eventualy cycle your tank. there is no need to, and will only make you have to boost how much waste you add to your tank to cycle.

murph

I didn't start running a skimmer until it became necessary to use a mag float on the front pain of the aquarium.
Mag float aka dissolved organic compounds creator

willcon

I decided to go with skimming cause of a post on here that aconvicned me.
everyone seems to have lot of different oppinions about this :notsure:

ck_503

I've used a skimmer both times now while cycling my tank and never had a problem. As long as you wait out the 4-6 weeks you'll be fine whether you skim or not.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by airforceb2
I say no skimmer either way. You want the protein to cure the rock.
hehe.. I can't imagine any skimmer in the world taking all the protein out of a tank with a bunch of uncured live rock.

crzyfshygy

Patience is the key in this hobby. No need to run the skimmer till the cucle is complete. On all 3 of my tanks I waited till the cycle was done.

acekjd83

why would you skim the nitrogenous wastes while you are cycling??? the purpose of the NITROGEN CYCLE is to CYCLE the NITROGEN
the nitrogen cycle in a nutshell:1) ammonia added: throw in some shrimp, some flake food, some uncured rock...
2) nitrosobacter grow
: these bacteria oxidize ammonia and turn it into nitrite.
3) ammonia converted to nitrite
: after the first bacterial population boom, the ammonia will be converted to nitrite, and the bacteria will starve and populations drop.
4) nitrobacter grow
: a second set of bacteria will grow, and break down the nitrites into nitrates.
5) nitrite converted to nitrate
: the second population boom will convert the nitrite to nitrate, and these bacteria will decline.
6) cycle basically complete
: the end product, nitrates, will build up as the other wastes are broken down, and the two types of bacteria reach population equilibria. once the balance is reached between ammonia production and breakdown, the tank is considered "cycled"
NOW... why would you skim these nitrogen compounds? that's like trying to grow a nice, healthy lawn while sucking water out of the soil... the bacteria need these molecules to grow, and they are the entire reason the tank is cycling. skimming is basically short-circuiting the cycling process. dont skim or use carbon during the cycle!!!

airforceb2

Very nicely put!!
The final product is the nitrates being turned into nitrogen gas. Thus why we seen little bubbles on the sand after a cycle.

hot883

That was nicely put acekjd83. Got a skimmer question while we are on the subject. Airforceb2 and acekjd83 and anyones else please look at my thread "how big is to Big" . I need some advice on a fuge w/skimmer. Thanks guys. Barry