Skimming for 24/7?

W

winstew

How many of you run the skimmers 24/7 ( excpet for cleaning and feeding). What are some of the advantages of running it on a timer?

greggti

24/7.. Also I have heard that turning it off for any period of time and then turning it back on, it can release some bad stuff back into the tank. Unless it was cleaned while it was off.

W

winstew

I read somewhere that a heavy skimmer removes some good stuff for filter feeders. Didn't think it held to much water but just wanted to get everyones opinion.

T

tampausmc

it does strip alot of nutrients from the water....which is why there are actually corals which will do better in a tank which is not skimmed.......i still run my 24/7 though.....figure weekly 10% changes with good salt should handle that

W

winstew

I turn mine off when I feed just because I found alot of the myis shrimp get down into the skimmer and either clog it up or just get sucked up inside and wasted. Plus i trained everyone ( i think) that when the pump/skimer go off its feeding time.

jakebtc

24/7 some skimmers don't run optimaly 100% of the time, so if your not running it all the time your knocking down it efficiency even more

jester805

I used to run mine 24/7 and just recently put it on a timer. I was having problems with micro bubbles after I added my sump. I realized that my skimmer was causing a lot of them. Now my skimmer only runs when my lights are off.