skin falling off leather

hopping

i got a flower leather friday, saterday it started sheadding a little now all of its skin is falling off! What is rong? What do i do? Someone please help. all water peramiters are good everything in the tank looks good.

nycbob

is it a thin layer coming off? if yes, then it is just shedding. put the leather in a decent flow area.

hopping

no it is chunks of skin down to what looks like white roots. i tried to blow it with a turky baster thinking it was molting but it just fell apart

paintballer768

Its known for leathers to shed their mucusy skin every once in a while, and for them to look horrible while doing so. Ive never see a leather look like the picture you posted if it were healthy. Can you please post what your ammonia levels are reading? If theres any, I would have to say that the leather might have died and now is decaying, hence why you would be seeing chunks of gunk rather than what looks like a large mucusy string attached.

hopping

my ammnia is 0 alng with everything else. i have a pagda gorgonia poyanthids zooanthis mushrooms starfish and several inverts. every thing looks great except the leather.

rusting

How did you acclimate it ? If the store has diffrent parameters than you, it should be done slowly. It looks to me like it is not going to make it.

nycbob

what kind of light do u hv? bc ur leather doesnt look good. if u hv mh, it could be too much light. i'd run some carbon immediately.

nycbob

at least carbon will get rid of whatever chemical or waste that leather is releasing into the water.

hopping

vho lights 10k and blue moon lights. i dripped for @ 1 hr, mabe not long enough. i will start carbon now and there is 2 pieces that i might be able to frag i'll try. thank's

nycbob

1 hour is plenty. i dont even acclimate my corals. i just take it out of the water for 20 sec and put it inside the tank. i think either it was a bad specimen, or something is off in ur tank. and this is called a flower leather?

hopping

the sign said flower leather i think because of its ruffled edges. i treated it with reaf dip rinsed it and put it back so far it's not loosing any more skin.

reefforbrains

goodness gracious....
Smell it. If it smells bad then its bad. If you give it a wiff and have to ask yourself what I am talking about then there is hope. If it smells like you pulled it out of porta-potty then you have your answer.
No offence but I would at very least do a very agressive pruning and isolate it for a few days wih repeated nose testing at the end of the week.
That thing is really looking quite sad. Most folks would toss it for fear of it skunking the tank.
I wish you the best, but I think its dead. Just hasnt fully decomposed yet so anything still left is just a carcass that hasnt fallen apart yet.
Be careful that your not putting your tank at risk keep it. Always give something a fighting chance if your prepared for the fight but if you cant properly duke it out with a potential timebomb toss that sucker and be done.
-RFB

scopus tang

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2548574
agree. it looks dead. it looks like a cabbage leather.
+1, and I agree, its toast! As others said, frag some with nose testing if you can, but get the majority of it out of your tank before you ammonia goes off the scale. Good Luck