Skunk Cleaner Shrimps stealing food

alextrif

Hello All:
First off - I have a pair of Skunk Cleaner shrimps in my tank. Loads of personality, but they are thieving bas%^&#s! I try to feed my Torch Coral Krill/Mysis or Brine Shrimp and these guys keep going right into a 4-headed Torch Coral and pull the food out.
Since it takes so long for the Torch to pull the food into it mouth(s), I cannot stay there and monitor them until the food it eaten by the Torch. Any ideas how to stop these shrimps? I was thinking of fedding the Torch Silversides, but I think the shrimps will try to pull that away to. These guys are super agressive.
I also feed the tank phytoplankton, but I am not sure if that is enough for the Torch.
Also, can anyone tell me if Leather Finger Coral likes meaty foods? If so, how do you feed them. The Torch will just cling to the food I provide, but it does not appear that the Leather Finger has the same capabilities.
Thanks!!

viper_930

Feed the shrimp seperately on the other side of the tank. It's not necessary to feed torch corals, they can get enough energy from sufficient lighting. Torches cannot eat phytoplankton, and finger leathers can't take meaty foods.

clarkiiboi

Just wanted to add feed them first and seperately, thats the key IMO. I had issues also, feed them a piece of silverside (something meaty) before you feed the corals and they will take it and retreat. Corals will be left alone after that. HTH