Skunk Cleaner

cheapfish1

i want to get a skunk cleaner for my tank so that it will hopefully take care of the little ick problem i have. A few questions though,
do they do better in pairs?
Are they ok with crabs and such?
will they help with ICK?
How do i acclimate them?
Do they stay visible usually?
anyother useful info about these shrimp greatly appreciated
Mike :help: :help:

wax32

no
usually
sometimes, but you need to figure out why your fish have ich... usually stress
read the acclimation procedure recommended by this site... button is on the left
yes
They are cute and don't cause any problems.

Here is the one I had before Katrina.

subvillian

hey wax you said you had that shrimp before katrina. what happened?? I ask because i lost a whole house in katrina with my first tank?? Diamondhead Miss.

cheapfish1

i assume it has ick due the stress of it being freshly acclimated into my tank and the transportation from the LFS. So hopefully i can cure this fish and not have to stress them again. Thanks for the reply keep them coming

zanoshanox

The skunk cleaner can definetly do NO damage to your problem...They do eat the parasites off of your fish.

djevack

Yes, they will do better in pairs or more. They are a colony species, so they do better in numbers. Sometimes in larger tanks you may never see them. I have 3 in a 150g and hardly ever see them. If you want something to help with ich and such, buy a cheap cleaner goby. I bought one for 15 bucks. Hes always swiming around and trying to eat stuff off the other fish. Only get one per tank, they may fight. But ya Id go with a cleaner goby: cheaper, see them more, and cooler. But if you want come cleaner shrimp it wont hurt

wax32

Pretty much just lost the contents of my tank and fridge. We evacutated to my brother's house in Sulphur, LA for Katrina then they evacuated back to here for Rita. What a mess, but I consider myself fortunate.

jayc

do they do better in pairs?
yea, but they do fine by therself.
Are they ok with crabs and such?
Should be fine.
will they help with ICK?
yes
How do i acclimate them?

drip acclimation
Do they stay visible usually
?
It really just depends on where the shrimp sets up its cleaning station. It may set up in the front, or may decide to set up in the back. It just all depends on the shrimp.
And I would'nt suggest a cleaner wrasse. All they eat is parasites, once they eat all the parasites they will end up starving. Now cleaner gobies are different they eat parasties but also eat other food like shrimps.
Josh