Slightly cloudy water

mattman91

I just set up my first saltwater tank about a month ago. I haven't done a water change yet, and the water is still slightly cloudy. I have live sand, so obviously I wasn't supposed to rinse it. Its not affecting my fish (2 clowns and a goby) and its not like the tank is milky. I can see through it perfectly, but its still a little whitish. My question is, will the cloudiness go away with a water change? Or is it indicative of something else that I'm not noticing?

aquaria

This happened to me up to about the four week period. I added a Chemi-Pure Elite to my filter and it polished my water to crystal clear! i also recommend Purigen as well for water polishing!
One last thing i could say is to clean of the debris from your LR to keep it from constantly floating around in the tank, these worked for me!
Good luck with the new set up!

mattman91

I am running Blue Life- Clear FX Pro in my reactor. I thought this was pretty much equivalent to chemi-pure. Is it something else?

aquaria

I mean have to tested your level? What are they?
When i started my tank i made the mistake of dumping the sand in after the water which caused a mass blur for like 2 weeks, then the sediment settled on the rocks and kept clouding the tank!
Is that a possibility?
I was also thinking how many gph is your filter running?

mattman91

I think your right about my cloudiness. I did the same thing with my sand, adding it after the water, so it settled on my rocks. I blew most of it off with the powerhead, but there's still some here and there. So you think after it is all off the rocks, my water will be clear?
And as for testing my levels, the tank is cycled, if that's what you mean. And I'm not entirely sure of my gph. My return pump from my sump is a Rio 17 HF, but it is pumping up about 5 ft, so its probably 700- 800 gph, according to the box.

aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman91 http:///t/390677/slightly-cloudy-water#post_3461058
I think your right about my cloudiness. I did the same thing with my sand, adding it after the water, so it settled on my rocks. I blew most of it off with the powerhead, but there's still some here and there. So you think after it is all off the rocks, my water will be clear?
And as for testing my levels, the tank is cycled, if that's what you mean. And I'm not entirely sure of my gph. My return pump from my sump is a Rio 17 HF, but it is pumping up about 5 ft, so its probably 700- 800 gph, according to the box.
Ohhh yeah your filtration rate is most certainly fast enough! i would say give it about about a day or two more for the filter to pick up all of the particles int he water.
I was also just thinking that you may need to add a fine filter sponge/pad to your filtration as well to remove silt particles which usually escape through the filtration system because they are too fine.
Now that i really think about it, that might be a great help if you already dont have a fine filter media.
But...... overall now that your rocks are clean and most of the silt is suspended in the tank, i feel as if it is going to clear up!

Keep me posted!