Slightly OT: Installing RO/DI system -- help

bjlled

I live in an apartment and am doing a "temporary" RO/DI system installation. I have all the plumbing down, except the RO/DI Drain.
I have a disposal, and a dishwasher. On the side of the disposal there is a small drain inlet designed for use for the drain pipe from the dishwasher. The dishwasher drainhose is just some small rather flexible tubing.
What I want to do is unclamp the drain from the dishwasher to the disposal, insert a "Y", and then I can hookup the dishwasher drain & the RO/DI drain to the side of the disposal.
I Think I would need some sort of "check valve" to ensure that the dishwasher wont flow into the drain of the RO/DI, and vice/versa. However, a trip to Home Depot netted nothing that seemed like it would be useful.
Can anyone provide me with any help on this one?
Thanks all.

extremepcs

You could use a drain saddle valve and connect it above the disposer. You may get in trouble with your landlord though. The saddle valve will punch a hole in the drain line. It's not a big deal to replace the down tube from the sink though. You could always do it yourself before you move out.
Another option would be to install a ball valve on the drain line. Keep it closed until you want to make water. HD has shat for plumbing parts. You'll probably need to get one online for the small tubing.

f14peter

If the fitting of the dishwasher drain hose on the disposal is standard "Garden hose" size, then you're made in the shade. The Y-adapters are to be found at homestores, but not in the plumbing aisle . . . they're in the gardening section where the hoses and such are. Nice thing about these fittings is that the two ends of the "Y" have their own valve.
Here's one I used to supply water to my RO/DI . . .

Another option, depending upon waste-water pressure and location of the unit is to just loop the tubing up and stick it down your drain in the sink.