slime on glass

wetone

I'm seeing more of the green or brown film which grows on the glass of the tank. I used to clean it once a week now I clean every couple of days. It is a very fine layer and grows more where the power heads are pointed. My snails make a trail thru it when they are passing by.
I have the tank in a non air condition basement, the temp fluctuautes between 78 an 82 in a 24 hr period (humid days..cooler nights). I also have seen a little bit of this growing on top of my sand bed.
My levels of NO3 and PO4 are undetectable and all corals (including some colt and leather frags I cut) and fish are thriving. I do have a lot of caulerpa growth which I need to cut back often.
Is this "normal" or possible sign of bad things coming??

flydan

Hey,
Don't have enough info on your tank to give a good answer. Could be lots of things. Might be time to change light bulbs, could be nutrient rich water. (Over feeding?) The more info you give the better answers you'll get! :cool: Lot's of people on this sight have experience with what you're going through.
Take care,
Dan'l :D

wetone

I have 3 fish (2 damsel 1 tang) I feed them a "small" pinch of pellets or other stuff only once a day.
I have started dosing DT's about 10 days ago...1 teasp every 2 or 3 days.
I have a 70g eith a 30g sump..125lbs of LR

@knight

how long has your tank been set up?
have you added anything or changed anything recently?
for starters, maybe cut back on feeding a little.
Is this stuff youre referring to possibly resemble cyanobacteria?

burnnspy

Your nitrates will be low because of the Macro algae.
I believe that you are generating a good amount of nitrates that are being utilized by the Macro and green/brown algae.
I recommend getting rid of the Macro algae or buying more snails to get rid of the green/brown algae for you.
BurnNSpy

wetone

Hey Burn
If I get rid of the macro, which is using nitrates, wont this leave me with an unwanted quantity of nitrates??
Also the DT's I started may be a link, I will cut back but I dont want to cutout totally because I have a gorgonian which is pretty happy so far.
Tank has been setup about 6 months. Its a 70g with 125lbs of LR. I do 10 gal water changes ervery 2-3 weeks. 3 fish, 6-7 soft corals, couple of condy anenomes. I didnt think 1 pinch of food a day (which I see all get eaten) would be over feeding, thats why I suspect the DT.
I have 2 250w 6500K halides and 2 110w VHO actinincs, they are all less than 3 months old

burnnspy

Nitrate reduction via Macro algae is okay, but not nearly as good as a properly working sand bed.
Gorgians are not recommend For reef tanks, they have a horendous survival rate.
BurnNSpy