slimmy film forming on top of tank - What is it?

jewaters

I have a 55 gal reef tank. It's been up an running for about four months now. Everything is doing great. Just checked the water parameters yesterday and everything is great. However, have been noticing a clear/whitish film on top. When I net it off the top it looks like snot (sorry, just don't know how else to describe). There are little patches but today when I got home the whole left side of the tank was covered. Does anybody have an idea what this might be or what I need to do? Help appreciated!

spanko

sounds like you are not skimming the top of the tank enough with your filtering. Can you tell us what your filter setup is please? Also in some cases you may not have enough surface movement. A power head pointed up to agitate the surface to help with gas exchange is needed in this scenario.

jewaters

Thanks. I have a Fluval 304 filter, protein skimmer and a 1250 gph powerhead. Typically run the powerhead twice a day for 15-20 min at a time. Just adjusted it so it's circulating the top of the tank more. Seems to be working :) Thanks again!

spanko

Is the fluval or skimmer intake below the water line much? Your filter need to be drawing water off the surface to help to get rid of the scum (bacteria most likely)