small reef tank

-shawn-

I am getting ready to head out to college and I have to leave my current tank at home. I would like to do a small (small being the key word) reef tank while I am away. I will only do corals and clean up crew, for fish would be a big contributor to throwing my levels off. I still have a couple of months, but I would appreciate any help.
Please give my any help possilbe.
ie. tank size, lighting, filtration, etc. :confused:

pufferlover

I would do a 10 gallon with a samll #2 Whisper filter on it and a regular hood with a good bulb designed for coral tanks. I too have a small 15 gallon with that set up and it has the most gorgeous pink coraline hue to it and I only keep a couple of small fish in it. I don't remember where I found the tank as a 15 was a odd size to me. I just use a GE actinic bulb on it and have a cute easy to care for reef.

K

krustytheclownfish

I hear a plenum works well in a small tank, or maybe a DSB with lr. Just ideas.
Puffer-do you use a skimmer in your 15g?

burnnspy

I don't recommend small reefs for beginners since they are unstable and usually end up crashing.
You should go for at least 29gal or more.
BurnNSpy

C

coralbeauty

I just completed cycling a 7 gallon bow front nano reef. I replaced the NO lighting with a retro fit PC lighting which gives me 32 watts. It will be enough light for some basic mushrooms, polyps and a small brain. I have added a small power head for circulation and a whispper filter. I have a left over seaclone skimmer so I might add it later, if I need to so far I do not feel the need. I am just going to propagate out of my other tanks. I currently have a clean-up crew and a very small damsel. I added 7 pounds of Marshall island LR and 14 pounds of LS. Part nature's ocean and part fiji.
The trick I have found so far is to remember HOW small it is.......I know that sounds dumb, but the first time I went to feed the fish, I picked up a pinch of flake put it in the tank and it was way too much. I had to remove it. I have to carefully measure the additives, because a little too much in my big tank is no big deal, a little too much in this tank is a hugh problem.
Try a 10 gallon tank, it sounds like you have been keeping a bigger one for a while, and have fun.
Good luck,
Connie

moga

COnnie, what is the price range of PC?
i am thinking to have reef thank on my 30G tank, only thing left is light.
i have two cinamon clowns and one lemon peel angel, 2 peppermint shrimps, 2 camel shrimps,
one red leg crab, one blue leg crab( those crabs are pretty big.)..
any of live stock will hurt reef tank?
i put some macro algae into the tank, and those crab just destroyed it.
thanks~

scottevil

i have some power compacts that are perfect for small reef tanks. they are 36 watt bulbs housed in a small hood only 18" long. i have a couple extra if anyone is interested at a very reasonable price. they are ideal for small reef setups or multiple ones ofr a larger tank that is irregularly shaped (hex or oct). email me if interested: scott.eisert@delta-air.com

playtime

I didn't read any of the other comments but just in case they forgot. If you adding corals, you should use a protien skimmer. Also, a 25gal is small depending on the type you get. I have a 25gal tall and I love it. it fits perfectly in the little corner between my couch and loveseat. I know with a smaller one, you tend to need to keep a closer eye on your levels and do water changes more often. It will definately take more attention. But, it can be done.
playtime