small skimmer for small tank

casey horan

Hi all. I've got a small tank that I'm thinking of setting up as a reef tank. It's an Eclipse 12 gal. Anyways, I'm looking, for a small protein skimmer to go with this tank. I'm looking for suggestions on a skimmer, as well as suggestions on ways to connect it to this tank. Are there any that sit inside the tank or hang on the tank with very little actual hang on the edge space? The tank has only about 2 inches of space by the filter pump that I could hang a skimmer on. I could cut space out of the canopy to hang it on the side if I had to. Also, I could always put one out to the side and just run hoses, but are there any that aren't too large (something rated for under 50 gallons?) Thanks in advance for the help.
Casey

jond

As far as I know, you are out of luck. I used to use an eclipse 3 and couldn't figure a good way to get a skimmer on it. If you are not going to keep any fish in it and have some good LR and LS, you shouldn't need a skimmer on a tank that small. Just regular water changes.
Good Luck

casey horan

that's what I figured. Actually, the liverock I've put in it is the best I've seen in the 7 years I've had this hobby/habit/addiction. However, I was interested in putting in a couple of small fish. Regular water changes won't be a problem so I might just attempt it this way, but, of course, I'd rather have the skimmer, just for a little more reassurance. Thanks for the reply.
Casey