Small tank instability.

stig

It seems that if you have a 15g fresh-water, it's a fairly good size. But if you have a 15g salt-water, it's tiny.
I appreciate that most salt water fish are still caught in the wild and so probably need more space.
What's so different about the cycles going on in a salt-water tank that makes a 15g potentially unstable whereas if it's a fresh-water system, it's considered fine?
Why is ammonia likely to peak more quickly and dangerously in a salt than a fresh?
Thanks.

kris

You're right-15g for saltwater is tiny-I would'nt even try it. It's partially due to space for these fish but it more due to the sensitivity of them, they are much more sensitive to ammonia than fresh. In the ocean there simply are no fluctuations in things like temp, salinity, or levels of nitrates and such. It is not so much the levels though as the changes in levels that they will not tolerate. The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep these conditions stable. It would require very diligent maintenance to keep this small a tank. Hope this helps.

stig

Thanks for the reply. Now I understand better. The fact is that I do have this size tank and don't have the resources to upgrade since I have only recently bought this one.
What really baffles me is that a friend of mine has had EXACTLY the same setup as me running for about a year with virtually no problems - he has about 5 or 6 small fish. From what he has told me he virtually does no maintenance.
Anyway, I don't really want to leave it to chance. To avoid catastrophe I realize there are certain things I should do: Don't overstock, don't overfeed, keep a close eye on temp etc., remove any dead animals as quickly as possible. I also plan to change 2.5 gallons(by vacuuming the gravel) every 2 weeks with prepared, aerated, heated and aged water and regular top ups with fresh water.
The filter(just sitting in the water) pumps about 2.5 gallons a minute over a thick gauze then some seeded (live??) gravel and finally a carbon bag. This is all placed in a sump on top of the tank. I have 2 fairly large pieces of live rock in the tank as well as an airstone for a bit more water movement and aeration.
Sorry for the long list. I'm just wondering what I can do to be meticulous enough in my maintenance to avoid disaster. I've thought about a protein skimmer but I'm not sure.
Any suggestions on what I can do to make this thing work would be greatly appreciated.
(Extra filtration or maintenance stuff I mean.)
Thanks.

kris

Sounds like you know enough, and are commited enough to make your tank work. i'm a little confused though about exactly what kind of filter you've got? Live rock was a good idea and will help alot. I believe a knowledgable and diligent hobbyist can make anything work. Good Luck

bamm bamm

I set-up an even smaller tank than that for my girlfriend. It's an eclipse 6 and its been running for over a month now with minimal problems, only one damsel died and a cleaner wrasse helped with the ick..Live rock greatly helps in a tank as small as that but make sure its precured as with otherwise it kinda seems useless to put it in...

stig

Thanks for the encouragement Kris and Bamm Bamm. Diligent- maybe. Knowledgeable- I've got a long way to go.
The filter.....it's made by a Japanese company called Nisso. I think it's an internal submersible power filter?????
There's a tray that sits right across the back of the tank. At one end there's the pump which draws up the water and sends it over a long plastic tray with holes so that the water drops at different points over the filter media. Then gravity pulls the water back into the tank at the end of the sump.
Does it sound any good?