Smaller overflows?

The smallest siphon overflows I've seen are rated between 600-700 gph. Are there any smaller ones out there? I'd like a smaller flow rate through a refugium.

jester

use a ball valve and a smaller pump. if it's still too much, run thinner drain lines.
Scratch that. I learn something daily here.

What I'm concerned with is people have told me if you run a lot less than the maximum flow rate then the siphon will break suction. How low of a flow rate can you achieve before you start having problems with the siphon breaking?

christian 808

A properly built siphon overflow won't lose its siphon even if the flow stops (eg. during power outage). Not to say they never lose siphon, of course. The only way to get around this problem 100% is to use a corner (internal) overflow. They are worry-free!!
Christian Schwalm
SkyLab Industries
www.wetdryfilter.com

oceanjumper

Jagermeister,
You are right for external overflow boxes. If the flow is too low, tiny airbubbles can build up in the U-tube. Multiple tiny bubbles become one big one and the siphon breaks.....
Internal overflow boxes -like the one Christian is selling- don't have this problem.
If you feel the flow is too low, you can also replace the U tube you have with a new smaller diameter U tube to keep a higher flow thru the U tube.

cap'n pete

OceanJumper is right. A smaller u-tube would prevent air bubbles due to increased flow rate through the tube. I have a smaller overflow I'm getting rid of if your interested (cheap). I can get a smaller u-tube for it to. Email me.