smallest fish?

the j.o.p.

i'm setting up a super small 3 gal. tank for my desk. it is going to be just for small frags of coral. but i was wondering what kind of small fish could i have maybe one of in the tank. i would like one that stays small, not one i would have to move to a larger tank later on. thanks
j.o.p.

chipmaker

Three gal is a lot more than the pico tanks I have aroun d here are, and they all have had fish in them since they were cyled, some being over two years now. I keep yellow clown gobys, neon gobys, yellow watchman gobys, in them all with no problems. I kept a small pink skunk clown in a 2 gal for close to a year. It was in my larger 110 gal tank for over two years and it was still just a small fish so I figured heck why not, and he did fine in that pico tank.
Any of the symbiotic gobys along with a pistol shrimp makes a good pair ina small tank as such, and the yellow watch man as is the yasha hasha goby both good to pair up with a pistol shrimp.
Or yu can get a panda goby which is supposedly the smallest fish. I have one and its only about 1/2" long, and it lives in a 3 quart Aqua Vase and does just fine. They are kind of pricey though. I paid $45 for mine.....

quaos

I wouldn't go with the watchman nor a clown. A pistol shrimp is very cool but I think you need more space then that. Mine loves to dig around the whole tank, which is a 15G. For a fish go with any clown gobies (includes panda), barnacle blenny, yasha hasha goby is okey; they stay real small, or a neon goby.

fedukeford

im pretty sure the yasha hasha is white with red bands and the top fin looks like a firefishes fin. if you get a clown goby you should know that they have a short life, normally around 2 years

S

surfinusa

i would go with the yasha hasha giby they are really cool ***)

whiteelite

i have only seen it on sale once and it was for $60 butif u are looking for the nices looking fish you can get the flaming prawn goby which is new in the trade but in my eyes. one of the nicest looking fish in the world. and it is small it only gets to about a half an inch to an inch max

chipmaker

I guess it all depends on where yu buy the yasha at. Our lfs here routinlely sells a pistol shrimp // yashs goby pair for about $30-35 bucks...Considering pistol shrimp sell for roughly 10 to 15 and most gobies except for the clown are at least $15....thats not bad price. Here yellow, or green clown gobys are $4.99 Citreon are about a buck more.

the j.o.p.

time for the dumb question of the day... how many gobies can you have in one tank? i think i want both of them (if i can find them )!!! not in the 3 gal. but in a 10 gal.? i have small tanks because i live in a apt. and should be moving in 9 months and i don't want to move a huge tank.
thanks
j.o.p.

bojik

Originally Posted by WhitEElitE
i have only seen it on sale once and it was for $60 butif u are looking for the nices looking fish you can get the flaming prawn goby which is new in the trade but in my eyes. one of the nicest looking fish in the world. and it is small it only gets to about a half an inch to an inch max
That is a nice goby. that was probably a "sale" price for it too...
There is another that is kind of like that that pops on the market here and there that goes for over 100 many times. It might have just been another trade name of the fish though.
Online I've seen the helfrichi firefish hit as much as $250 out of season.

benter

I had a sailfin blenny once..he was very small and was very interesting. They are not the most colorful..but very active. The yasha are very pretty, but very shy or at least the one I had was.