Smoke in my Reef Tank

tom b.

I am new to this hobby and I have a question. I have a 500+ gallon tank with the usual live rock, coral, etc. Twice in the past three days while observing my tank I noticed a large puff of smoke comming from one of my live rock. Two days latter the same thing happened again. I don't think it was a Coral as it was in an area where there were no Corals. It was like a "Puff of cigarette smoke". The fish even seemed curious but I could see no damage to any of them. Any ideas????
Thanks,
Tom B.

ophiura

Its possibly something spawning. Alternatively it could be something darting into a rock or something where detritus has built up. But if there is interest from the fish, it may very well have been something spawning

tom b.

Originally Posted by ophiura
Its possibly something spawning. Alternatively it could be something darting into a rock or something where detritus has built up. But if there is interest from the fish, it may very well have been something spawning

Thanks for your response. The fish just seemed alarmed. They didn't seem to be trying to feed on the smoke.

reefreak29

i woke up 2 days ago to find my tank water white, i narowed it down to my clam spawning it cleared in 2 days