Smoking effects on tank???

Hello,,,just wondering what kind of effects that smoking in a house around a tank can cause,,,,I heard it is not good for it,,,but never heard why,,,or what is can cause,,,thanks

tanker555

It will turn acrylic yellow quickly, and a regular tank will slowly tinge. The temperature difference helps the smoke stick to the glass quickly. Many people avoid keeping a fish tank in a bar for this reason. I've had many people want to put there tank in the rec area like a bar, but I saw first hand how quick they begin to look bad. Good new is, if you do it, your fish can't get lung cancer from 2nd hand smoke :happyfish

celacanthr

I would think that some of the chemicals in smoke would get into the water, and might be dangerous to some of the less-hardy animals.
:notsure:
-roo

bill109

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I would think that some of the chemicals in smoke would get into the water, and might be dangerous to some of the less-hardy animals.
:notsure:
-roo
i hope not
i put so muc money into my 90 and the tv is down there and my dad is always down there and he smokes a but so i hope not my fish arent oing to like it

celacanthr

I mean, I am not positive since there have never been (to my knowledge) any experiments done on smokes effect on marine animals. It would seem likely that there would be an effect though.

psusocr1

i know smoke will shoke certain skimmers and theyw ont work right for abotu an hour or so until it gets clean air

bill109

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i know smoke will shoke certain skimmers and theyw ont work right for abotu an hour or so until it gets clean air
meaing if the air is cloudy from smoke or like my house just smell like smoke