snail graveyard

pontius

well, I'm 9 months into my tank's life. I've had good success with fish, even a yellow tang that had black ich and HLLE when I got him. I've had success with many different types of crustaceans. I'm good in the serpent star department. I'm 10 for 10 in keeping corals, and one of them is a stony. I'm 1 for 1 in anemones. I've got coralline growing out the ying yang, and I've "almost" defeated hair algae. but for the life of me, I can't get snails to live. In the 9 months, I've had well over 100 snails at different times, including astreas, ceriths, mexican turbos, nassarius, and 2 queen conchs (yeah, I know they're not technically snails, but similar). out of those 100 snails, the only ones I have left are 4 nassarius and 2 astreas. what's the deal?
I tested my water 2 nights ago:
temp 80
sg 1.024
ammonia 0
ph 8.3
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
phosphate 0
kh 11
calcium 540
I add kalkwasser and C Balance. I feed cyclopeeze and marine snow in addition to what I feed the fish. there is PLENTY of algae, both hair, film, and coralline. is there something else I should be adding??? iodine or strontium or something?
I know that blue legs have killed a few, but not all. every mexican turbo I've had has died within 3 days. and speaking of the blue legs, their numbers have dwindled too, don't know why. I would like to be able to keep snails, but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

trainfever

What kind of fish do you have? I had a Raccoon Butterfly that was very aggressive and would go after my snails. Sometimes he would even go after my hermit crabs.

pontius

I've got
2 false percs
2 bangaiis
5 green chromis
coral beauty
yellow tang
bicolor blenny
they all ignore the inverts in my tank

knots

I can't solve your problem but I can tell you I have the same problem especially with Turbo's and Hermits. So hopefully someone will answer you and it will help me also.:yes:

I don't know for sure that this would be the problem, but I went through the same thing for a long time only to finally realize that the cause was minor differences in salinity and / temp when doing my topoffs and water changes. I also think sudden drops in salinity may have had something to do with it too as I topped off, on occasion, with 1 - 2 gallons of water at a time (on a 20 gallon tank, that's enough for a pretty significant drop).
So now I make sure the salinity is the same between the tank and water change water and that the temps match on the topoffs and water change water. I also try to spread out the topoffs a bit, so now I don't ever put in more than a quart at a time.
In short, although your tank is much bigger, its definitely something to consider.

pontius

Originally posted by mbrands
How are you acclimating them when adding new snails?

yup, always.