snail ID Please

bigarn

If it burys itself in the sand it's a nassarius snail. They're good. :D
Although there's something about the picture that looks different to me. :thinking:

oceana

yeah, it buries itself but keeps that little horn thing sticking out of the sand like a periscope. Will it disrupt rockwork while it's traveling under the sand?

bigarn

Originally posted by oceana
yeah, it buries itself but keeps that little horn thing sticking out of the sand like a periscope. Will it disrupt rockwork while it's traveling under the sand?

It's a nassarius snail....it won't burrow under the rocks. :D

j21kickster

there are thousands of snails that burrow under the sand- that is not a nass snail- but unfortunealy i dont have an alternative answer

j21kickster

nassarius snails arent shiny or smoothe like that- they also arent as narrow- dont touch it yet untill you get a posative id- there are cone snails that look similar that are deadly- but just to be on the safe side

j21kickster

for example this snail is a cone snail and is indeed deadly and the shells look similar Conus betulinus perhaps someone will come along with the correct ID

oceana

I dont think it's harmful
we got it at the local fish store for 3 bucks.
the guy said they are good sand sifters.
i just wanted to come here and double check since we all know how much the LFS people know somtimes.:rolleyes:
he/she/it will crawl around the sand for a bit then tunnels all the way under and stick his little tube out of the sand as it moves around. Then comes up and digs down in another place.
thanks

j21kickster

thats my point- most of the time they dont know jack- i would wait for an id before messing with it- Is the fact that you paid for it what makes you feel safe- they also sell blue ring octopus on the web and a bite will kill you as well- im just saying there is no reason to sacrafice personal safety untill you are sure of what it is.

diadema

Originally posted by oceana
I dont think it's harmful
we got it at the local fish store for 3 bucks.

Are these 2 phrases mutually exclusive?
If not, I think your logic is a little flawed..

infalable

Its an Olive Porpfyria or Tent Olive. If its not a tent Olive it is of the olive family. Olive shells will not harm corals, but they do burrow and feed on small mollusks and crustacions (sp).
I attached a picture of one of mine. I have about 5 olive shells. I am currently trying to accurately ID each one. Mine was found off the coast of Panama.

bigarn

I knew something looked different...... Guess I jumped the gun on this one. Good work people! :D