Snail ID?

ofalegend

Hey everyone. Sorry I can't get a pic right now, but I have some sort of snail I just discovered in my tank. It is approximately 3/4" long, and the shell is strikingly similar to the queen conch shell, but it's dark brown and black. The thing I found strange is it seems to have a feeder "arm" that it extends and sucks things off the live rock. Anyone have any idea what this may be?
Thanks!
~M

drummerboy

Hey, I have the same thing! It was a hitch hiker on my first piece of live rock. I only see it once a week, but it has a brown shell with kind of a tube or something (looks like an elephant trunk) that it feeds off of rock with? I don't know what it is either, haven't been able to find anything on it. Sorry I'm not much help, but I do know what you're talking about.

ofalegend

Thanks Drummerboy. I'll keep looking around and let you know if I find anything. You can do the same for me :)
~Michael

ak_reefer

It could be a Nassarius (sp?) snail or a Bumble Bee Snail. They both have tubes which come out. They use it to smell food I believe. I have several of both snails in my tank and they all cruise around with their snout out. Both like to borrow in my sand bed. HTH

drummerboy

Yes, whatever I have (though I know it's not a bumble bee snail), doesn't acctually eat with the tube, he kind of uses it as a director, wherever it points is the direction he's gonna go. And they do have a good sense of smell! As soon as a peice of brine shrimp hits the bottom he appears out of no where and devours it.

karlas

does it look like these the first pics are of a fighting conc get up to 3" and great sand sifters they use that long tube to feed
<a href="http://atlantisaquatic.com/180_inverts.html" target="_blank">fight conch</a>
this one is a nassarious snail great detrivores go after any left over food, when buried in sand stick their tubes out of the sand i think to breath, also stay very small
<a href="http://www.ffexpress.com/inverts/snails/ness_snails.jpg" target="_blank">n snails</a>

drummerboy

The one I have is definitly not a fighting conch. It's shell does very closely resemble the second pictre though (can't remember how to spell it). I guess it's a good thing to have then, it's definitly been an interesting snail to watch.