Snail Shell Question

christine

Hello Everyone,
Quick question. I had two turbo snails die on me while on Vacation. I had someone watching my tank. I got the snail bodies out, I boiled the shells, soaked them in bleach and boiled them again. Question: Can I put these shells back in the tank for my hermits to move into? Or should I toss them? They are really pretty and I think thay would look cool. Please help!
Christine

ja

Sure. MIne did the same and I just left them in the tank. The fish ate the remains and I have additional shells fior new hermits or snails. You just went a extra precationary step.

jimi

I too just leave a snail if it dies. My hermit crabs usually have the shell cleaned out over night and ready to move into.

christine

Thanks for the much needed info. I thought since they died, it would raise ammonia levels. I didn't want to take a chance by leaving the dead snail in with the healthy.
Thanks again.
Originally posted by Christine:
Hello Everyone,
Quick question. I had two turbo snails die on me while on Vacation. I had someone watching my tank. I got the snail bodies out, I boiled the shells, soaked them in bleach and boiled them again. Question: Can I put these shells back in the tank for my hermits to move into? Or should I toss them? They are really pretty and I think thay would look cool. Please help!
Christine

mr . salty

If you were to leave them in,yes the amonia would rise.But just a bit,and only till more nitrafying bacteria formed to use it up.Then levals would return to normal. That is the natural cycle. If you have crabs,and other critters like that,they would take care of the carcass.(the clean up crew) STEVE