Snail with "tentacles"

dirtyenglish

I bought a new snail today. Saw it at the LFS and it has a unique color scheme to it. and I wanted it. I got it in my tank after acclimating it. The LFS guy said it was an Astrea snail. When I put him in the tank i placed him against the glass, and he immediately grabbed on. Not like my other astrea snails. but I noticed these 8 "tentacles" comming off the opening of his shell. Anyone know what it is??

Thanks,
Tom
(first saltwater tank, 100 gal)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397420/snail-with-tentacles#post_3542133
In a sense.......... fingers. They use them to help find their way around and help find food.

Yep like a cats whiskers, they are feelers, but I think they also "smell" with them...LOL and maybe they have eyes at the end like in the cartoons...

The nassarious snails keep a feeler tube poking out of the sand when they bury themselves, to breath, or smell when food is available. The snails come right out as soon as I feed the tank, before the food has hit the bottom... so they don't just meander about and feel for food.