Snails, and crabs...

johnnymas

i have a 55 gal. that has a slight algae problem... some people told me snails, crabs, and conchs should help the problem. my question is HOW MANY should i put in my tank?
and i need something to move/ clean my LS.

ajroc31

Getting the snails and crabs is the same as taking advil for pain. The snails will clean your glass, but you did not solve the problem. You need to find out what is causing the growth. Typically it is the excess nutrients that cause algea bloom. You may have too much phosphate or nitrate in your water. It can also be the light bulb.

To solve an algae problem you can do many things such as:
Feed Sparingly
Minimize Hrs of Light
Use RO/DI Water
Buy a Powerhead

johnnymas

i transfered to 55 gal 3 weeks ago... the light(compact) are new to my old rocks... phosphates are within range, and so are my alk and ph...didnt check my nitrates yet... algea looks a little better since i cut the timer on the lights (they are on for about 6hrs), but i also bought 10more snails and crabs so i don't know which is doing the job
lets say if the algea goes away because it got use to the lights...how many snails/crabs should go in a 55gal

luvnluk

I like the Advil analogy.....the algae is painful; but what is causing the pain? What kind of top-off water are you using? How old is your tank - FO, reef ....?? Lighting? Cean-up crew? Start with the basics, and go from there...."I wish I knew then what I know now".....