Snails keep dying?

dawnmv

I have a 45 gallon tank that has been well established for two years now and recently I cannot keep snails alive. My fish and crabs have been fine. I have even tried to purchase them from different sourses and they only last about 24-36 hours on the glass and then die. What is going on? If anyone could please help!

sweetdawn

how is your salinity mine was high in my nano and my snails kept doing that too. i have gotten a new hydrometer and am keeping it in the right range now and my snails are living

airforceb2

I would up it to about 1.025. That is ideal for inverts.
How are you new at saltwater when you have a well-established tank over 2 years old?
How do you acclimate your snails?

melisa3816

Originally Posted by Dawnmv
I have a 45 gallon tank that has been well established for two years now and recently I cannot keep snails alive. My fish and crabs have been fine. I have even tried to purchase them from different sourses and they only last about 24-36 hours on the glass and then die. What is going on? If anyone could please help!
Hello my name is Melissa and I have some snails to I don't know why your are die,But I have a question if you can answer it.Your going to think I'm stupid but how do the snails mate?Yesterday I noticed they were stuck to each other not by there shells the other way and was just wondering if they are mating and if they are how many babies do they have?Don't really need anymore I have 2 and they really keep my tank clen lol.

J

jdragunas

yeah, your SG is low for inverts. It's ok if you drip acclimate them, but if you just take them out and put them in the tank, it shocks them to death... literally. You should definately raise your SG to about 1.025-1.026. Do this slowly, though, as you don't want to shock your other fish. The best way to do it IMO is to top off with saltwater, rather than freshwater. This will raise the SG over the period of a week or so.
Good luck!!!
Jenn