snails

shadow puppet

I am still trying to get my salinity down, while my tank is cyling, but am starting to get brown algae, and was wondering if snails would be ok in a salinty of 1.028?

fishgod

If your tank is still cycling just let the algae grow. It will eventually die back when all of the nutrients that it needs to spread are gone!

mlm

Once it is done cycling and you get the SG down try some Trouchus snails. They cost more than the Turbos but they are much better cleaners and in my experience they do not die as easily.

fshhub

you rally don't want ot put snails in there anyway, the cycle isn't good for them either,a fter the cycle, then
go 4 the trochus, i agree, gotta love ours

ocellaris_keeper

You have a 65 GAL tank - remove 2 gal (using a siphon and a water jug. Add 2 gal of RO filtered water and your salinity should settle to 1.0225. If you are not sure - remove 1 gal of salt and replace with one gal of fresh, test the salinity and remove/add water until you are happy with the level.
Your damsels will not care at all.
when you begin to do water changes you'll understand the adjustments you can make with add/remove pretty easily.

ocellaris_keeper

Just another tidbit (I lost my train of thought - you didn't say whether you had damsels, I just assumed).
Astrea snails are terribly hardy. Try the water change, watch the water level for evaporation (this will cause your salinity to rise) and wait a week and put a few snails in first (make sure you acclimate them for at least an hour) and they should do nicely.

shadow puppet

No, I don't have any damsels, I'm cycling fishless.. I've been changing water in and out for the last 2 weeks that I've had the tank running.. I've gotten the salinity down quite a bit, but not to an acceptable level yet... It started at over 1.030, so I don't know what the exact reading was, since it most likely was way off the hydrometer's max reading.. So it could of been higher than that. I'm not adding anything until it gets more exceptable, and since I only cycle my freshwater tanks fishless as well, I don't see the advantage to putting saltwater fish, which are at least 10x more expensive through the stress, and chance of burning due to ammonia and stuff...Though now I do have thousands of copepods running around my tank, and lots of tings alive on my LR.. I'm supposing my tank is rather healthy right now.