Snails

dt

Ok, I have cycled a 20 gal. tank now for some time. about 4 months.. that is with no fish, only live sand and rock. I wanting to start with some tank breed fish (tom. clowns and damsels, I think domino) I know I need snails and that sort of thing. But I do not know much about them. I have 20 lbs. of rock. I have some options of snails at my LFS. does anyone have a sugestion on the type and amount of sand/rock sails?? Any help would be great!! - Thanks

fedukeford

id say start off with ~ 10-15 turbo snails, and a couple nassurous (sp?) snails to stir up the sand bed

sawsman

Welcome dt !
I personally would put 5 Turbos and 5-10 Astrea snails. This should be plenty for a 20 gal. In my experience snails do not like the sand very much and Ive tried several different types. You'd be better off with a sand sifting goby fish or a bunch of small hermit crabs in my opinion.
-sawsman

dt

Thanks a lot!
Would anyone also know if it is a good idea to introduce snails into the tank via the drip method? ***)

sawsman

yes drip method is fine. I might add that you'll want to keep your specific gravity at >1.024 and calcium at >400 ppm for snails.
-sawsman

fishe1

It is not necessary to drip acclimate snails. Just float them in the bag for about 10-15 minutes and let them go. I have never had any problem with doing it this way.

azocean709

I don't agree with the 10 to 15 minute deal...i acclimate everything the same. I put everything in a bucket with a heater. . i put the animals in the bucket. my tank stays at 79 degrees, my bucket is then put to 79 degrees, with snails i drip faster than i do fish. ...i put the bag in the bucket and open the top. i put my drip hose in and its at a rate of about 4 drips a second....almost a slow run. i do this with snails until the temp regulates...normally 30 to 40 minutes.< the salinity too. if you test your water to that of the LFS, 9 times out of ten it will be differant> IMO it is a good habit to get into...especially adding fish to you Q tank, and then from your Q tank to your DT after everything is A ok. This is just my opinion , i have never lost an animal.

sawsman

Originally Posted by AzOcean709
I don't agree with the 10 to 15 minute deal...i acclimate everything the same. I put everything in a bucket with a heater. . i put the animals in the bucket. my tank stays at 79 degrees, my bucket is then put to 79 degrees, with snails i drip faster than i do fish. ...i put the bag in the bucket and open the top. i put my drip hose in and its at a rate of about 4 drips a second....almost a slow run. i do this with snails until the temp regulates...normally 30 to 40 minutes.< the salinity too. if you test your water to that of the LFS, 9 times out of ten it will be differant> IMO it is a good habit to get into...especially adding fish to you Q tank, and then from your Q tank to your DT after everything is A ok. This is just my opinion , i have never lost an animal.
I agree.