Snails

I had loads of algae and I was told to have at least 1 snail per gallon and I didn't want this so I bought 12 and now I have baby snails everywhere!!!!What do i do to get rid of these tiny lil snails??

I have only 2 clowns and 7 hermits and a hawaiian feather duster yesterday was devastated and I found my golden head killed by my maxi jet so ok I will heed your advice.Thanks for replying

michaeltx

If you ever get to many in a tank because they are breeding it means the tank is in good shape. If you ever get to many there are always people looking for snails you can sell them or even give them away to other people that you know that has a tank.
Sorry to hear about loses in your tank though.
Mike

Thanks for your input I will have to donate the snails back to the lfs I don't know anyone with a tank.The only other problem I have is I cant seem to get a cleaner shrimp to live but that's another story!Take care

michaeltx

I cant keep any shrimp alive at all so I gave up years ago I can keep everything else going but not shrimp LOL
I wouldnt donate but sell them to the LFS that way you can get a little bit of your money back on them anyway ;-)
Mike

The lfs here will not pay for them I had a chocolate star that I had to give them or throw it in the ocean "L" The last cleaner shrimp I got was dead before he landed on the sand!Water has been tested by me and several other sources and checked out fine but anyway.Im getting ready to but an anemone I think for the clowns and maybe a snail eating fish"L"

michaeltx

in that case sell them on here and ship them to people you dont have to have a lot of water in the bags and you can ask for x amount plus shipping. atleast you could make alittle bit from them.
also on the shrimp thats what happen to mine never have figured it out though tired from different sources and acclimated them differently all the way up to 4 hours dripping and they never lived.
Mike

S

sudc

I'm sure you have some local reefers in your area that would gladly trade you something(frags or livestock) for snails. try checking if you have a local reef club, you probably do. Not only can you get rid of the snails but might find some local reefers to talk, hang out , trade with, etc.

I've always been lucky with shrimp and have never had one last less than a year(fire, peppermint and cleaners). I always drip acclimate them for at least 4 hours and longer(up to 8 hours) if there is a big salinity swing from the lfs water.
p.s.- dont know if you were joking but dont throw anything back in the ocean after having it in your tank. you can introduce some bad things potentially.

Mike I never thought about selling them on here that's a good idea!The shrimp thing the guy at the lfs said give up after 3 of them "L"

SUDC
I dripped the shrimp for 2 hours and never had them live over night and as far as throwing fish back into the ocean that was a joke "L"I just meant that was my only option if I didn't give it to the lfs.I would like to get a shrimp to live to clean the bottom and to clean my clown fish any thanks for taking the time to write!

S

sudc

I would try drip acclimating them a little longer. Get a cheaper one, like a peppermint, and try dripping for 4-5 hours and see if he lives. For it to die thAt fast, almost definitely it's an acclimation issue or water quality issue.
Before dealing with the hassle of shipping snails, i would definitely look into any local reef club in your area. You'd be amazed how generous in trade some of them will be

How do you go about finding a reef club?I have only been in this hobby for 5 months so I'm new.I just bought this book a month ago that I read everyday by Robert fenner so I'm getting the hang of everything and with you guys help have had a lot of success