Snails

zackp00

Hey guys I have been noticing more and more baby snails all over my aquarium. Is this going to be a problem i feel they are multiplying? I also found a baby starfish and I don't know how he got in there but I havent put nothin in my tank for a couple months so he has been in there a whille how fast these things go and he is just a little bigger thatn this guy here dancin

deon nyc

u can always take them out and give them to your LFS or someone u know. what kind of star is it can we get a pic.

reefkprz

the baby sea star is probably a micro brittle and thats a great thing. they are detritivores and are an excellent addition to your clean up crew if you see one there are dozen you're not seeing.
or they could be an asterina star which is generally a good thing (only about 1 in one hundred species are a problem, the problem species are RARE but they do occur) if your not seeing a problem with your zoanthids then dont worry your most likley in the clear.
if your seeng baby snails chances are they might be strombus maculatus google images them, and they are another great addition as they are a great small algae grazer
or they may be pyramidellid snails which is not good but they mostly stay towards other snails and bivalves as they need to dine in a parasitic manner to survive. if your seeing the baby snails attached to Large snails near the foot, its a problem.

zackp00

Ok the starfish looks kinda like a batic or choclate chip. He is small likie i said not brittle i know what they look like. I can't tell you what he is for sure I will try to get a picture but not sure how that is going to come out LOL...
Yes them are the snails that I have and thought were multiplying bc i have a bunch and only put like 20 adults in there when i got my clean up crew and now I have like 3 different small stages clear still, little white ones and some that are just about as big as the star i found. I still have the adults too though....