Snails..

eng50

Are there any specific breeds of snails that will tend to stay on glass vs rock work etc?
I have lots of varieties of snails except turbos, and they stay on the rocks for the most part...I have stayed away from turbos because of what I have read about them falling over and dying..Any input would be appreciated..Thank you!

jonthefb

have you ever tried cerith snails, or trochus snails? i will swear by either of these guys. the ceriths go a great job tackeling microalgae including cyano, and they also help by aerating your sandbed without removing the beneficial critters, and they chow on detritus as well. as for the trochus, these guys have to be the most active algae eaters of them all they will chow just aobut anythign and do it quick. just a couple suggestions, take em as you like!
good luck
jon

fshhub

turbos and trochus
If you go with trochus, you do not need a many as you would turbos.
I would not really worry about the turbos thouh, b/c IME they do not seem to fall too much to worry about. YOu may loose some, but not alot everyday. Wehave onlylost 2 or 3 in the last year or so.
I am not as worried aboutthe snails as I am my fish, where I would consider anyloss of fish a problem, but a acouple of snails are not really a loss to me.

yosemite sam

I have several of astrea in my new 125. The first few days they were in, I had to rescue a couple, but for the last week, they all seem to be fine, munching away. One that did fall and die in my 20 gallon tank was quickly gobbled up by my hermit crabs. I have a few bumblebee snails as well. They often hide most of the day and only come out at night, but are cool looking and seem to do the job.