Snake's comeback - 55g mixed reef

snakeblitz33

Oh, and my wife chose the color scheme for the stand... It's growing on me. We have two gallons of paint still left from the last project and I thought it might give it a nice touch as well. It matches the old "rustic" look that my wife has going on in the rest of the house.

I'll build the book case at the same time that I build the canopy, that way I know how tall to make it. I want to buy my lights first before I make the canopy though,... before they really go up in price during the Christmas season.

I think I''m going to paint the back of it black again, and paint the bottom white - like I usually do. It makes it look better to me. I'll also have to paint the return nozzle - but I'll be adding a little wave nozzle to it as well.

SO, thoughts on the Eshopps PSK300, (300gph) external overflow? I was thinking that 300gph might be sufficient enough - the next size up is the 800.

snakeblitz33

trigger40,

What do you think is redneck about my system? By the way, I like to consider myself a Cajun, not a redneck. I don't think I know you well enough yet to consider your statement an insult or a compliment... explain.

trigger40

lol i lived most my life in deep south louisiana(all the way down at venice). what i have always loved about that area is how creative every one is around there, redneck ingenuity is what i always called it. now i live in a city and HATE IT. so take it as compliment as it was ment to be. and i ment it about the stand by the way... not the system. the filtration on my tank is inferior to yours haha. but the stand just gives me the weatherd felling(wich was done really well). so good job on the "cajun" ingenuity ;)

snakeblitz33

Thanks trigger. Good to know, and don't forget your true roots!

im sitting here looking at my tank from the living room and imagining what it might look like and I think I am going to like it.

I am designing an up flow algae scrubber. I'm making a mold so that I can make multiple copies. I would like to test the prototype on my system first,... Anyways, that's all in the future.

snakeblitz33

Lol. I settled for a55g. It's a narrow tank, but if I do it right, it will be fine.

It's a mixed reef,... Plenty of soft corals, some Lps and some Sps corals. Just a good mix of stuff. Nothing extremely fancy. Nothing designer. Just a good all around run of the mill reef tank. But, it will be mine!

eric b 125

I like your idea of keeping it simple. The only difference b/w your system and mine is that I'm using a Ca Rx and you're doing kalk. I've thought about a controller, but I still can't figure out why I would need one.

I think 300 gallons will be plenty for your tank. I'm keeping the flow through my sump at less than 700gph. There's no need to push a ton of water through the filtration.

snakeblitz33

Wow I was just in my car when a tornado passed through. Tons and tons of debris and shredded and downed trees. Power lines are down - we have no power probably for a couple of days of not a week.

My wife is at her job and my kid is with my mother in law. My mother is at a hospital and my dad is taking a nap on his bed.

I have to conserve phone power. I'll give updates when I can.

snakeblitz33

Entergy said I won't have power till late Friday night.

At least it's not unbearably hot. And I don't have a tank running right now. Trying to remain positive.

Sucks that my stove is electric.

snakeblitz33

Well, it looks like I'm out of work until power is restored. won't start work again until Monday next week.

At least we have some candles and flashlights.

foodshape

Wow that really sucks! At least your house is ok and your family unhurt by it (assuming the hospital has power). Good luck getting things back to normal.

snakeblitz33

West Monroe has made ABC news. Gov. Jindal declared a state of emergency. We won't have power until this weekend.

It's turned off really cold. I feel unprepared for this little event. I think this is going to turn me into a real prepper.

What sucks is that I don't even have money to buy a portable gas stove. :(

I'll figure things out. I always do.

snakeblitz33

My freezer is already thawed. I've been cooking meat today. Giving away perishable food to neighbors that lost everything.

I just spent my last dime on emergency prep stuff.

It's so quiet around here. I can hear the wind blowing outside.

novahobbies

Give yourself as much room as possible for your skimmer...and then add a couple more inches. I'm looking at upgrading my skimmer, and the one thing that bums me out is the simple fact that I may have to redo my WHOLE sump just to fit a new skimmer. I just didn't leave myself any room to "grow" down there.

novahobbies

How are things over at Casa Seth, other than the power outages? Any property damage? I'm glad, like Eric said, that the humans are all OK!

snakeblitz33

Yeah, part of the roof blew off. I pretty much don't have a fence anymore. The skirting on my trailer is now underneath it. My garden is trashed.

snakeblitz33

I am going to kinda put the fish tank on the back burner for a little while. I want to buy a generator and some survival/prepping stuff. I want to get ready for this "horrible winter" that we are supposed to have.

After I feel prepped enough, I'll start working on the tank again.