Snake's Methods for DIY Supplements

snakeblitz33

Snake's Methods for DIY Supplements
Hello everyone! Like many of you in the aquarium hobby, I try to save money any way that I can. This usually makes me try a lot of DIY tips and tricks and a lot of home remedies. But, there is also another aspect of the hobby in which you can save a buck with. DIY Supplements aren't really DIY, because mostly you have to purchase them from companies and grocery stores. But, in order to do that, you have to know what chemical or food is what, and why it works.
Here's a short list of some of the chemicals that you can buy in your local aquarium store to maintain your aquarium(s).
pH up
Alkalinity booster
Calcium booster
Kalkwasser
Powdered Magnesium
Magnesium Booster
Selcon
Garlic Immune Booster
Here's the actual chemicals in these supplements:
pH up = Sodium Bicarbonate
Alkalinity Booster = baked Sodium Bicarbonate
Calcium Booster = Calcium Chloride
Kalkwasser = Calcium Hydroxide
Powdered Magnesium = Magnesium Chloride
Magnesium Booster = Magnesium Sulfate
Selcon = High dose Vitamin C
Garlic Immune Booster = Freshly pressed garlic
Here's the DIY that can save you money – at your own risk
pH up = Sodium Bicarbonate = Baking Soda
Alkalinity Booster = baked Sodium Bicarbonate = bake your own baking soda
Calcium Booster = Calcium Chloride = Peladow, Dowflake, Pickle Crisp
Kalkwasser = Calcium Hydroxide = Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime
Powdered Magnesium = Magnesium Chloride = Mag Flake
Magnesium Booster = Magnesium Sulfate = Epsom Salt
Selcon = High dose Vitamin C = Crushed Vitamin C tablets, diluted in distilled water
Garlic Immune Booster = Freshly pressed garlic = Press your own fresh garlic (better anyway)
Here's some links to how to use and produce these products easily and cheaply:
Easy Calcium and Alkalinity (3) part solutions
Another good read for Calcium and Alkalinity and Magnesium DIY supplements
An article to answer your Magnesium questions

ronjon5150

Snake,
I have read alot of your post and you know what you are talking about. Can you help me on a bio balls issue?
I have high nitrate levels and someone told me to remove my bio balls and regualr water changes to lower the nitrate levels. She also told me to keep them out. I was also told by another store do not remove them because they are creating the bacteria I need for my tank. It is a fish only tank no corals. Trying to get it ready for coral but with these nitrate levels no way. The person who told me to remove the bio balls runs a saltwater store and does not use them in her tanks. ANY HELP?

snakeblitz33

Ronjon, love the name by the way.
Bioballs in a fish only system is fine if properly maintained. They have to be washed lightly in old saltwater from your last water change.
As long as you have enough bio filtration from an adequate amount of live rock and sufficient water flow through the rock, Bioballs aren't necessarily needed.
For more adequate forms of filtration to reduce nitrate and phosphate, look into algae scrubbers and protein skimmers and refugiums.
Hth.
Btw, start a thread!

ronjon5150

Thanks for the answers! I did start one but didn't get any response. I wanted to talk to you because it seems you know what the heck you are talking about. I do have a skimmer and will look into the other items you mentioned. Thanks again!

snakeblitz33

Your welcome. Thanks for all the compliments. There are some very knowledgeable members on this forum, like Shawn (Acrylic) and Corey (2Quills) are awesome at all kinds of equipment questions and DIY and Guy (Bang Guy) is freakin awesome at ID's and Biology and chemicals... Saxman and Cranberry are awesome at predator tanks and unusual equipment and DIY stuffs. There are many more knowledgeable people than me. lol

oceandude

Dang Seth...Posted something in the wrong thread, (here)...sorry dude...let me remove it and put in proper thread...btw, like several of your methods dude!