Snorkel/dive options for those with poor vision?

moraym

Maybe a silly question, but I've been trying to take up diving for a while,
and finally have an opportunity to snorkel and take some open water
courses in Hawaii in February.
However, I have pretty poor vision. In cases where I can't wear glasses,
I'll wear contacts, such as when I ski, climb, etc. That being said, is
there an option for those with poor vision when it comes to diving?
I saw prescription dive masks for about $100, but I'm coming up on my Hawaii trip quickly and won't have time to order one.
I generally wear disposable contacts, and I've heard two different sides: some say they wear contacts and dive without problems, others say it's a bad combo. Just looking for some more advice.
If nothing else, I just won't see too many details.

moraym

Quick follow-up: Anyone have any luck w/ disposable underwater cameras? Saw some digital disposable underwater cameras that I thought about picking up for my trip.

cowfishrule

my wife and i did hawai'i with disposable underwater cameras-great for snorkeling, and we even got some bottom shots- 35 ft down.
i have a prescription mask that i ordered, and it shipped the same day.
let me see if i can find the link.

groupergenius

I wear glasses and simply would go without when diving or snorkeling. For some reason I never had a problem seeing underwater.

For the last couple of years I have been doing it with contacts just because they are allready in my eyes. I can't stand prescription sunglasses.

1journeyman

I have very bad eyesight (20/400) without my contacts.
I wear disposable contacts when diving. I'm "Advanced" certified and every year hit the max depth of 130 feet.
No problems....
If your mask fits properly you should never get water in your mask and you learn to keep the pressure regulated in your mask so contacts should not be an issue. (Talk to your eye doctor just in case)

moraym

Thanks for the replies so far. I've heard you don't need contacts when diving as you see more clearly underwater, but I can't make out the alarm clock from the bed sometimes...so I'd hate to snorkel and miss everything more than 3 feet away.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by MorayM
Thanks for the replies so far. I've heard you don't need contacts when diving as you see more clearly underwater, but I can't make out the alarm clock from the bed sometimes...so I'd hate to snorkel and miss everything more than 3 feet away.
I certainly do need contacts when I dive.. I guess if you don't have very bad eyesight maybe...
Don't forget too, when diving you need to come up and be able to see the dive boat, etc. I wouldn't go without them personally.

dragonzim

I know lots of people that dive with contacts. The only time you may have a problem is that during your certification one of the skills you need to show proficiency at is removing your mask underwater then putting it back on and clearing all the water from it. As long as you keep your eyes closed while doing this you should be OK.
BTW, a good dive mask will run you well over $100 anyway, so getting the prescription inserts for it shouldnt be that much more money. I think I spent about $140 on my mask.

peef

I am a master dive instructor in the Keys. EVERY dive operation I have ever worked for, which is like 5 has had rental prescription masks. Call the people you are going with and see if they have any.

firerescue

I wear disposable contacts and did the back wall of molokini on maui down to 200 feet and no problems ever with mine. If you are going to maui i know of an awesome dive operation there.