snorkelling? and where?

T

tygerfifteen

just wanted to know who's went and where.
also anybody ever been to hanuma bay in hawaii? the coral/snorkelling reserve? i think it was called.
just came back last week one of the coolest things I've ever done.
thankx and later

P

phenom5

went snorkeling in the virgin islands, it was sweet, but it wasn't enough. got certified, now i've been diving in the caribbean, mexico, and once or twice in the pacific NW...love it.

kreach

I've been snorkling in several different places in Hawaii as well as in Cozumel, Mexico. Unfortunately, the place we chose to go to in Cozumel was not impressive at all. I want to go to Belize next or back to Hawaii.

kittykitty

I've been snorkeling at molokini island off the coast of maui,hawaii and also snorkeled and scuba dived in st. croix. St croix was beautiful. The trick is to drive out to some unknown portion of the beach and dive where the waters are virtually untouched by other people.

cayman isl

....Of course, Grand Cayman!
Take a trip with Captain Marvin to the Coral Gardens and then hit Stingray City. Then a quick trip to the barrier reef to see the resident nurse shark. Great corals and fish everywhere. And if you want a good shore snorkle go to Eden Rock right in Georgetown. You can get in at the dive shop and snorkle out to the edge. Beautiful colors and fish. Cemetary Reef is good to, not crowded at all and once you get out to the reef you will see amazing corals, fans and fish.
One of my other favorites is Ulua Beach in Maui. Go in the morning when the water clarity is good. Great fish here, moorish idols, puffers, lotsa of yellow tangs and seargent majors.
Molokini crater is also cool. We went over the rim last time and went right over the top of a 7 foot white tip! Gets kinda crowded at the crater though, too many boats!

barry cuda

For that matter, what about Key West? I'm going to be there for a few days next month and was wondering if there's any good snorkeling to be had ...

808smokey

Hanuma bay is OK but it's a tourist trap. You need to go to the north shore up by Waimea Bay, 3 tables, pipe line and sunset beach. There all within a 1/2 miles of each other. Up there you'll see lots of yellow tangs, hawaiian cleaners, Humuhumunukukapua'a, porc puffers, LOTS of damsels and sharks, sea turtles, and rays....
Oh I miss Hawaii. I was stationed there for 3 years. GO NAVY!!!

tarhull87

Take a trip with Captain Marvin to the Coral Gardens and then hit Stingray City. Then a quick trip to the barrier reef to see the resident nurse shark. Great corals and fish everywhere. And if you want a good shore snorkle go to Eden Rock right in Georgetown. You can get in at the dive shop and snorkle out to the edge. Beautiful colors and fish. Cemetary Reef is good to, not crowded at all and once you get out to the reef you will see amazing corals, fans and fish.
I totally agree, I went with captain marvin last spring break, truly a great experience!
Stingray City, WOW!

skirrby

ive been snorkeling in the keys. and me and my dad did it alot when i lived in miami just along miami beach. its alot of fun.. i would love to get certifided for diving and do that one day..ive never left had the chance to go to hawaii or anyother place like that... but if the chance came and i had the money... id be off to hawaii in a heartbeat

shawn_dude

If anyone has a chance then I recommend Southern Thailand. Uncrowded and unspoiled. Been there several times and been impressed each time. You'll have to catch a boat to take you out to the different islands to snorkel. Boats are very cheap to rent with a driver....try Krabi or Samuai.

I've been to molokini and Black Rock, both of which are in Maui, I have to say it was the coolest thing I've ever done, I think I'm going back to Hawii this spring and I'm going to learn to scuba, YEAH!

innsmouth

For that matter, what about Key West?
I've snorkled in two locations in Key West.
Once on the patch reefs about 15 miles out. Not much coral to speak of but some really cool fish. Lots of great barracuda (one I swear was 5 ft long!), saw a french angel and my personal fave was a big group of reef squid. They just hovered below us and pulsed in a really cool color pattern. Then they just disappeared and a big barracuda came cruising by. lol
Next we took a boat to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas National Park. A small chain of tiny unpopulated islands. If you go to Key West you MUST do this. It's a day trip, about 3 hours west into the Gulf of Mexico. The fort was used in the Civil War to house federal prisoners. There is a moat around the fort that you can snorkel on the outside of and it's fantastic. Crystal clear water and tons and tons of life. Huge schools of fish, big queen angels, groupers, lots of coral etc. It was great. Cost about $100 bucks and was well worth it.
Only problem with this time of year, there are too many Man-O-Wars in the water so be careful! I'll be there in May, can't wait!
:D

lovethesea

Cayman is awesome, Cancun is OK and Cozemel OK, I think the trick to some of these places is not to get in with the huge boats of people. Find a smaller group if possible and have them take you off the usual route.
Stingray City as said above is fun too, the water out there is to die for. On land the Turtle Farm is a great place to see. They are doing great work with saving some of the sea turtles and breeding them to place back at sea.
Just thinking about all of this is making a cold day in St. Louis a little more pleasent. Whens SUMMER????