snow flake eel

nicetry

Certain ones. Hermits will be fine. Sally lightfoots, emeralds, porcelains, etc..will likely be eaten in time.

I

irenicus

Hermits will be ok. The other larger crabs such as emeralds, sally lightfoots etc, have the potential of being prey.

nicetry

Yep. The eel might nose around abit, but shouldn't bother them. I kept numerous hermits of various sizes with a large SFE and he never pestered them.

nickfish

I would not trust it at all. Mine will gulp down a 4" piece of shrimp whithout even chewing. I would trust them w/coral, but not crustations. Even the largest of them.

liontamer

Nickfish doesnt have a ton of experience, so he doesnt realize that a sfe eel can indeed gulp down a shrimp, considering it is natural prey. BUT, they wotn eat any hard shelled crustacean. They will eat those other crabs you see, like the procelains and the emeralds, etc. But they wont go after snails or hermits, although im not sure about conchs...
So, yea, u can keep hermits and snails, an eel wont just swallow a shell like that, cuz they'd never digest it, and they know that. On the other hand, the kinds of crabs that they CAN eat, they can crunch down on em and make em digestable.

moraym

I have not had trouble with my SFE eating hard-shelled crabs or snails, but maybe i'm just lucky