snowflake and shark????

bbronco

the lfs has a shark egg for $30 (is that a good price)
they don't know what kind of shark it is?
can i put that with my snow flake eel? it would be in a 55g but i got a 300 that will be set up soon? how fast will the shark grow?
it is cool you can see it moving in the egg!!!
any help would be great.

tvan

$30.00 isn't bad. Eggs and newborns have a high mortality rate. The snow flake should be ok. The shake type probably is a banded cat.
HTH
Tom

bandcamp

you can keep the shark & the eel - the shark egg may not hatch, if it does, make sure you have a special place where you spot feed the eel & a separate place where you spot feed the shark.
we had both, until recently - our shark passed away back in april - we didn't see much of our eel and we weren't sure how much he was eating, now we see him every day & he eats like a pig.

bbronco

thanks for the info!!! how fast do they go?
do i have to feed it as soon as it comes out? it will eat from its sac for a while right? if so how long?

jim27

They grow pretty fast for a while, but slow down as they get older. My bamboo shark went from 6" long to almost a foot in a year. No they dont eat right after they hatch. Wait a few days and then offer it something.

jim27

Its my old brownbanded bamboo shark in my hand. Thats the shark that will hatch out of the egg you plan to buy.

bandcamp

you can check some of the older posts here, there were a bunch not too long ago on the brown banded cat shark - they are a really cool shark. you can also google them. i found some cool pictures on the net.
this is what ours looked like before he passed on - his name was czark - we're holding a wake on monday in front of the tank (granted it's a month late - but some atty's are very busy)

rookie

Anyone who owns a shark or is thinking about buying a shark I would recommend the book "Aquarium Sharks & Rays: An essential guide to their selection, keeping, and natural history" by Scott W. Michael.
This is a great book and gives you an exceptional amount of information on all aspects of sharks. This will help you with selection as well.
Nick