Snowflake Eel and inverts...

uvmfish

I have read a few posts where people have had a snowflake with inverts such as shrimp and crabs with success. Is this the norm or will most snowflakes kill the inverts? I think they are great but would hate to lose all of my shrimp! Anyone have experience or opinions with this?

grouperhead

In the wild, snowflakes feed mainly on inverts such as shrimp and crabs. Some people have been able to keep them together, some have tried it and had all their inverts eaten. More often than not, I'd say the eel would eat your inverts at one time or another. If you get a small eel, you could try it, but when he gets larger, he may eat them. Bo

katara

I have had my sfe since 12/01 and I have alot of hermits and 3 different shrimp..he has never bothered them.I should add that he was the first in the tank and is also a very picky eater, only eating silversides.HTH.

uvmfish

Thanks for the replies! I guess it is the same as the rest of this hobby in many aspects, hit or miss! I will need to make a tough choice I guess.. Thanks again.

wildblue4

i have had sfe on two different occasions. one for about five years and the one i have now for about six months and have never had any problem with them eating anything in the tank except what i feed them. i keep them feed. when they come out searching for food thats when i feed them.

piscesblue

I just got my snowflake and he leaves my shrimp alone. My coral banded shrimp had a stand-off with the eel and everything has been quiet since. He did pick apart a small emerald crab.

marky

Originally posted by UVMfish:
<strong>I have read a few posts where people have had a snowflake with inverts such as shrimp and crabs with success. Is this the norm or will most snowflakes kill the inverts? I think they are great but would hate to lose all of my shrimp! Anyone have experience or opinions with this?</strong><hr></blockquote>
I have bought many cleaner crabs, and not one has lived more than a week, my snowflake eel takes em out pretty quick.

pstanley

My snowflake eel doesn't touch anything in my tank but takes food from my hand at the surface. He is actually afraid of my coral banded shrimp.

aquaman2

my snow flake eel doesnt bother my horsehoe crab or my starfish, i think he just sees the starfish as a rock.. ;)