snowflake eel in a reef

mrdc

Sure it can be done...see it all the time. You should be able to find some nice pics on the boards. What happens in a lot of cases is they can dig under a rock causing it to colapse on the them. They also can get big and may move things around. I also hear they can be excape artists.

space_geek

IMO it can be done. However, many people do not put lids on their tanks when they have reefs because they trap too much heat and allow for less gas exchange. So, I'd definetly put some eggcrate on the tank, which you can pick up at any hardware store, to prevent the eel from jumping ship.
You also cannot have any small fishes, which are popular in reef tanks with a snowflake. The same can be said with any crustaceans, whether they are shrimps, crabs, whatever. However, if you can get around everything I have just said, then I wish you luck! Keep us updated!!
And, one last thing, I recommend somehow securing your rock, because the eel is likely to topple the rockwork. Hiding PVC pipe in the rockwork will also keep your eel very happy. I know it doesnt look very natural which is why I think it would be a good idea to hide it in the rockwork.
Hope this helps!
~Emperor

dogstar

They are not a threat to corals, other than as said, knoking them around and over, but, may eat some other inverts and crustations and smaller unaware fish.

johnzo

Thats what will happen... I had to remove mine 2.5' due to the colapse of rock and it throwing sand on my plate coral.... not to mention waking up to the sound of Houdini his name..lol hitting the floor.... just got to be a pain. On to the aggressive tank he went

emperor11

IMO it can be done. However, many people do not put lids on their tanks when they have reefs because they trap too much heat and allow for less gas exchange. So, I'd definetly put some eggcrate on the tank, which you can pick up at any hardware store, to prevent the eel from jumping ship.
You also cannot have any small fishes, which are popular in reef tanks with a snowflake. The same can be said with any crustaceans, whether they are shrimps, crabs, whatever. However, if you can get around everything I have just said, then I wish you luck! Keep us updated!!
And, one last thing, I recommend somehow securing your rock, because the eel is likely to topple the rockwork. Hiding PVC pipe in the rockwork will also keep your eel very happy. I know it doesnt look very natural which is why I think it would be a good idea to hide it in the rockwork.
Hope this helps!
~Emperor

yimmy

They aren't a threat to corals but as everyone said they're magicians, another thing is they eat messy and meaty foods which i'm not sure how great that is for corals. In my LFS they have a 1000gal reef tank, and they had a snowflake but it limited their fish list so it went into a different tank.