Snowflake Eel Question

fishycpa

*Disclaimer - I do not have a SFE*, however, every SFE I have ever seen in a LFS or on these boards has dug down in the sand, under a rock for it's home. I would assume that sand bed would be preferable. Do you not have a sand bed, or have CC?

rylan1

Not sure if I want one or not for this tank, but they are not required for reef tanks. I have a fuge with sand, just not sure how I want to set up the display tank.

prk543

Snowflake eels will burrow in sand. you could try putting some pvc in the tank to give the eel somewhere to hide, but chances are you are going to want to atleast have a shallow sand bed for your tank. Either way make sure that you make your aquascape very secure, because your eel will try to wiggle under your rocks anyway, and you don't want anything to fall on it.
-prk543

florida joe

I have never seen an eel In all my time diving that was burred in the sand they prefer the safety of rockwork and darkness in the home aquarium they will try to get under your rocks if not given enough caves to take up residence and it may seem like they are burrowing in the sand BUT they do not burrow by nature (in my experience)

rylan1

I have a good amount of live rock, but I guess I can get away with no sand or a thin layer if I add some PVC pipe...

fishycpa

Originally Posted by florida joe
I have never seen an eel In all my time diving that was burred in the sand they prefer the safety of rockwork and darkness in the home aquarium they will try to get under your rocks if not given enough caves to take up residence and it may seem like they are burrowing in the sand BUT they do not burrow by nature (in my experience)
Right, that is what I meant.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by florida joe
I agree...I didn't have a sand bed in the six years I had a SFE, they need rockwork, and "caves" IMO.

peachie98

Mine LOVES my sand. I have live rock all over with holes and such, but he has basically made a burrow under almost every rock and cluster in the tank with holes to pop out of on all sides. When he's out swimming/hunting he goes in and out of all the holes and crevices in the rocks, but when he's resting and hanging out he's down under them in his sand burrows peeking out. The other SFE's that I've had have also had this same behavior.
I honestly think since he's so happy with his network of burrows he spends a lot less time trying to explore ways out of my tank (although they're all screened over). He's also constantly re-digging out his burrows and re-arranging them all the time.

sandi2007x

Mine love sand also.I have a 4'' sand base and lots of LR. he has burrows under every rock in the tank.Every now and then youll see a lil white cloud from where hes cleaning house or making a new burrow,and he seems real happy.I was told not to use CC because it may rub places on his skin and irratate him.