Snowflake eel

pufferbob

I got a Snowflake eel about a month ago. It's a very picky eater, and all it does is hide under a rock all the time. I suggest that if you do get one and are going to put it in with other fish, get one that has a mouth too small to catch your fish!! And you might want to consider doing what I do every day: I put it's food on the end of tongs and stick it down into the tank, and wave the food around until the eel comes out and grabs it. That way I don't have the problem that a lot of people have--the eel goes commando and eats all the fish in the tank. Mine likes to eat black tiger shrimp (the expensive kind I eat) and squid.

moraym

55g is a good size for the SFE. I've had mine for a while, he's about a foot long.
Pebble-toothed eels won't eat your fish unless it can easily fit in its mouth and/or the eel is very hungry. The rarely try to take bites out of tankmates if theyre fed on a regular basis. I've had mine with a medium-sized clown with no problems for six months.
I've hand-fed him the entire time. Pebble-toothed eels want to look mean, but they've got no bite to back it up.:)

nickfish

I got a sfe about 2 months ago and I can say its been a great fish to have in my 55. It took about a week for him to start eating. The stinkier the food the better because they have very poor eyesight. Try feeding it octopus tenticals, they smell bad and its natral prey. Watching them feed is quite entertaining and you can put on a show for your guests!

jimmy234

i keep mine in a 15 gal tank, but hes the only thing in there and hes small. my friend kept a snowflake eel in with his other fish and it ate a purple reef lobster ($40) its all up to you

jr8budcar

I have my sfe in my 55 gal and he is doing great. I feed him silver sides or pieces of shrimp. Just get some tongs and put it down at the bottom & he will come & get!! He does stay under the rock ALL the time but I dont regret getting him:jumping:

aidos

MorayM do u think a SFE would be ok with a pair of Purple firefish. the firefish are full grown and the snowflake eel is no longer than a pen so he is really small.
As he gets older i know there is more chance of him eating them but if he is fed regulary and hes used to the presence of the firefish do u think that it is safe enough to give it a go.
btw i have about 100 pounds of LR with plenty of hinding spaces so thats no worrie.

superhero

would I be able to put a lobster in with teh eel and will i ceable to put in a clean up crew with snails and crabs and stuff?