Snowflake eel

shoorty069

Today i purchased a snowflake eel from a specialty salt water fish store. Salt water fish and supplies are the only things they sell. Are there any special things i need to keep in mind with him besides the fact that anything thats small enought to fit in his mouth he will eat? Also, ive noticed after looking at him for a while, he opens his mouth every once and a while and almost looks like he yawns. I hope thats not a bad sign. And do they breathe through their mouths because he seems to open his mouth and his sides expand somewhat when he releases it.
<3ryry

J

jcrim

Make sure there are no holes in the top large enough for him to get out. Many of us have lost eels from them climbing out.

swfishonly

When i first bought my sfe he always open his mouth too and he is still doing it and i ahd him for about 3 months now my sfe is only about 10 or 11 inches so he cant really catch the food so i have to hand feed him with tweezers but if yours is a good size he should be fine also make sure you have rocks and hiding places they love to hide :happyfish

hot883

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
Today i purchased a snowflake eel from a specialty salt water fish store. Salt water fish and supplies are the only things they sell. Are there any special things i need to keep in mind with him besides the fact that anything thats small enought to fit in his mouth he will eat? Also, ive noticed after looking at him for a while, he opens his mouth every once and a while and almost looks like he yawns. I hope thats not a bad sign. And do they breathe through their mouths because he seems to open his mouth and his sides expand somewhat when he releases it.
<3ryry
Congrats on your purchase. Here is a TIP: When he gets out (notice I said when, NOT if) they have been known to be on the floor for HOURS. Just throw him back into the tank, dried fuzz and all, he will recover. Hardiest things alive. I hand fed mine thawed raw shrimp peeled. About 1- 1"piece every other day or so. They will cruise the tank when they are hungry so you will learn how much and when. They yawn all the time and yes they breath through their mouths. Have plenty of LR for him to hide in. I'm very jelous, they are great. have fun. Barry

merredeth

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
<3ryry
I have one 18-1/2 inches long and have had mine for months. He will get out of your tank so seal any small holes he can get out of.
Snowflake eels will not eat every day. Don't get worried if he rejects food. Try to keep him well fed though because he can go after your crabs or snails if you fail to keep him well fed.
Mine went on a hunger strike that lasted for three weeks. That is NOT normal, but he finally snapped out of it. Soak krill in garlic juice to keep up his immune system, just like you would many fish.
Make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the eel, as they love to hide during the day and since they are noctural, you'll see more of him at night than during the day.
You can hand feed snowflake eels - I do mine all the time. I turn off my equiptment and he has figured out that is feeding time and comes right up for his krill. They are a lot of fun, but with my eel I have learned the tank he is in has to be an aggressive tank. My second tank is reserved for fish that won't be the eel's next meal.
Enjoy your eel!
Denise M.

konrade

Mine ate from my hand the third day i bought him! Awesome little thing.. eats anything meaty. Btw, actually it is a known fact that eels will go on hunger strikes for months and that is perfectly normal.

mikeyjer

We were also thinking about getting a snow flake, what kind of fish can you have with him if any? We were thinking about a Lion fish and our existing Humu Humu Trigger. Thanks!

merredeth

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
We were also thinking about getting a snow flake, what kind of fish can you have with him if any? We were thinking about a Lion fish and our existing Humu Humu Trigger. Thanks!
Puffers, Groupers, Sweetlips, Tangs, Surgeons & Triggerfish are what I found on a compatability pyramid that play well with the snowflake eel.
I know for a fact my tangs have posed no problems and neither has the sweetlips. If I'm not mistaken, my LFS housed a lion with one of the snowflakes he had in his shop and I there were no problems there either.
Denise M.