Snowflake eel

salt life

I feed my 2 eels 2-3 times a week until they stop eating and they are very healthy and thick. Depending on your equipment, the waste your eel produces might not be enough for your skimmer to handle and your nitrates will go up.

jshepherd

Egg crate is not enough when you first put them in. Mine managed to get through it and luckily I found him in time. I found the easiest way was to get gutter guard from lowes and zip tie it under the egg crate.

I guess I am lucky with my sfe. I generally see mine for about 10 minutes each day. I LFS that I purchased him from hand feed him, so around 7-7:30a he is out swimming about while he awaiting to get his chuck of krill. I have been hold that is is basically just a hatchling, so he typically only eats once a day.

small triggers

As your SFE grows, like Salt Life said you only need to feed him 2 times a week or so, they choose when they want to eat or not.

madwabbit23

I feed mine a big meal once a week, or 2 smaller meals twice a week or so. Sometimes he just flat out wont take it, Ive seen him go 10days or so with only a krill or two, then the day I feel like going into a panic and re-checking water parameters he will eat all the silversides I point at him...
+1 to finicky eaters for sure.
Mines close to 2ft long, tried to get a pic just now but he took 1 silverside and ran back into his pvc pipe.
...i think if he had fingers he woulda flipped me the middle one.

prime311

Like most fish, SFE's need a varied diet to promote healthiness. I hope you are feeding them more then just krill.

salt life

At publix there is a seafood mix of raw squid,shrimp,clams,muscles,cuttle fish that i feed, its in a blue bag for like 5 bucks and i get 8 meals out of it. I also add silversides to the mix

sean48183

He is around 20" long. I bought him at around 7" but he has really grown in the year I have had him. I have to clean the glass but I will take a pic tommorrow and post it. I will try to draw him completely out of the rocks. I always turn my powerheads off to feed and he extends his body all the way out to reach the hole i feed thru in my cover.

salt life

Cool man, pics are always fun.
My point in asking was since he is almost 2 feet long id just give him 2 good meals a week and a snack in between if you see him looking for food. With such a big eel he, imagine the waste he produces if you feed him 1-2 times a day